Wikipedia:Peer review/Jud Süß (1940 film)/archive1
Jud Süß (1940 film)
This peer review discussion has been closed.
I've listed this article for peer review because I think it is close to meeting the criteria for featured article status. I would like help in ensuring that the article meets the WP:Featured article criteria. In particular, I am concerned about the citation formats used for references that have multiple page references. I used two different approaches and would like advice on which one to apply consistently. See the Talk Page for more details on this question. Also, the GA reviewer raised a question regarding the neutrality of the article viz. he felt that there was a "slight bend towards excessive anti-Nazi feelings". I looked at many sources to write this article and most of them had this "anti-Nazi" sentiment. I would appreciate any thoughts as to whether there is a real problem here or if the article is as neutral as it can be considering the subject matter.
A few comments: I doubt I'll have time to give this article a full review, at least not just yet, but here are a few initial points for you to consider:
- WP:LEAD stipulates a maximum of four paragraphs; you have seven. Overall I think the lead presently goes beyond the requirement of a concise summary of the article and could easily be shortened' Shortened lead to 4 paragraphs - Lead:
- Removed mention of Mendes until later in the article where he is properly introduced.There is a mention in the second paragraph of "Mendes' philo-semitic film adaptation", but there is no explanation of who Mendes was. He needs to be introduced with his full name, linked, and preferably at least a nominal description ("film director")
- There are a number of uncited statements in the prose. Here are some I picked up on, because they are at the ends of paragraphs and therefore very visible. There may be others:-
- Resolved. Sentence in question summarizes the points made in this section and the one following it. However, I have provided some references to help support the sentence."However, the project stalled out for a number of reasons including challenges in recruiting a suitable cast and difficulties in producing a script acceptable to Goebbels."
- Changed the list of actors who declined the role and provided a source - "In the meantime, Brauer was working on recruiting a cast but with little success. He offered the lead role of Joseph Süß Oppenheimer to Emil Jannings, Willi Forst, Gustaf Gründgens , René Deltgen, Paul Dahlke and Ferdinand Marian but each of them turned it down."
- Provided reference - "George's affiliation with the Nazis would have fatal consequences for him after the war when the Soviets arrested him as a Nazi collaborator. He died in 1946 while interned in NKVD special camp Nr. 7 located in Sachsenhausen."
- Provided reference and rewrote sentence to follow the source more closely"However, between 1940 and 1943, it grossed over 6.2 million reichsmarks thus making it a blockbuster in a way that Der Ewige Jude never was. David Culbert attributes the film's box-office success in large part to "its lavish sets, its effective crowd scenes, its skillful script, and the splendid acting by most of the principals."
- On further review, this sentence is not directly relevant to the article. Deleted the sentence."The film's director, Veit Harlan, received the 1943 Universum Film Archiv award (the UFA was the major commercial German film studio in the early part of the 20th century) at a time when the award was under Goebbels' jurisdiction."
- Provided reference - "In 2010, Oskar Roehler directed a film titled Jew Suss: Rise and Fall (German: Jud Süss: Film ohne Gewissen Jud Süss - film without conscience that premiered at the 2010 Berlinale."
- Commented out the sentence as I could find no reliable source for it."A controversial Hungarian web site has been distributing an unauthorized DVD version in Hungary."
- Resolved as part of a general rewrite of the section."For example, while the historical Süß was accused, among other things, of lecherous relations with the court ladies, he was never accused of rape."
- Resolved as part of a general rewrite of the section."The dramatic thrust of the novel focuses on Süß's desire for revenge and the tragedy resulting from his pursuit for vengeance."
- Removed section from article - The information in the "Popular culture" section is pretty trivial and in my view is barely worthy of inclusion, especially as it's the only item in the entire section. If you caold slip the item in somewhere else, it would stick out so much
- There are several links to disambiguation pages that need to be fixed - see the toolbox upper right of this review page.
Brian, thanks for taking the time to review this article. The points you raised make sense to me and you've given me enough to work on for a while. Once I've addressed the points you've raised, I'd like to come back and ask you to give it another look. --Pseudo-Richard (talk) 07:49, 19 November 2011 (UTC)
I have addressed Brian's suggestions as noted above. I have also used the tools in the toolbox to address links to disambiguation pages, converted bare URLs into templated references and provided alt text for all images. --Pseudo-Richard (talk) 05:41, 4 December 2011 (UTC)