Wikipedia:Rollback for users
|This essay contains the advice or opinions of one or more Wikipedia contributors. Essays are not Wikipedia policies or guidelines. Some essays represent widespread norms; others only represent minority viewpoints.|
This is intended to be a discussion on the formal process Wikipedia:Requests for rollback and the availability of the rollback feature to regular users. Views on different approaches to the topic are presented here.
Please conduct discussion on the talk page.
- I hope this is an accurate summary, feel free to correct any errors
Recently developers have made it possible for regular users to use the rollback feature. Currently any administrator can grant "rollback" to regular users. Wikipedia:Requests for rollback was drafted to determine weather to grant or deny people the rollback feature.
- Non-rollback reverts will be referred here as undo
Please feel free to expand the content here. Please do so in a courteous neutral way.
Regular users and rollback
Regular users should NOT have rollback
- This viewpoint believes regular users SHOULD NOT have access to the rollback feature.
- Undo has an edit summary.
- Lack of access cannot be abused. People can however use other tools (undo) if they wanted to abuse the revert function.
- Undo is slower.
Regular users should have rollback
- This viewpoint believes regular users SHOULD have access to the rollback feature.
- Rollback is faster.
- Rollback lacks an edit summary.
- Can be abused.
Granting of the rollback
There is a need for the formal process
- This viewpoint believes regular users should have access to the rollback feature BUT only after going through a formal process.
- User's conduct prior to the use of this tool is reviewed.
- It is an additional formal process.
- Tool can be abused despite this.
There is no need for a formal process
- This viewpoint believes ALL regular users should have access to the rollback feature by default.
- It is NOT an additional formal process.
- User's conduct prior to the use of this tool is NOT reviewed.
- Tool can be abused.
Rollback was activated and admins freely give it out; there weren't any serious repercussions.