|WikiProject Sociology||Project talk||Participants||Task force||Assessment||To do||Article lists & tools||Popular pages||Peer review||Templates||Category tree|
|This is a WikiProject, an area for focused collaboration among Wikipedians.
Welcome to WikiProject Sociology, a collaboration area for Wikipedians interested in improving coverage of sociology on Wikipedia. The project's primary purpose is to provide support for members and any other editors in improving Wikipedia's coverage of sociology. New members are always welcome! Just add your name to our participants list.
This WikiProject aims primarily to improve Wikipedia articles relating to sociology by organizing articles on the subject, locating notable weaknesses, and editing diligently. Criteria for including articles under this project's banner include:
- We cannot include all articles related to social activity: that would be millions of articles (all social facts...). Hence, we focus on those elements that are highly related to and mostly exclusive to sociology.
- Articles on purely sociological issues and terms (such as medical sociology or sociological perspective) should be included.
- Articles on interdisciplinary issues and terms (such as history of sociology, family, traditions or peace movement) should be included.
- But articles on specific entities such as a particular family (House of Windsor or element of fashion (brasserie, long hair) are too specific and should not be included, even if there are sociological studies of those concepts; we cannot cover the entirety of social reality. If the subject is notable and reliable sources exist covering it from the sociological perspective, we could however create more specialized articles, so topics like the social construction of the British royal family, sociology of fashion or sociology of clothing may get covered.
- A biography of a sociologist who meets the notability requirements outlined at WP:BIO (WP:PROF) should be included. But a biography of a famous person who has not directly contributed to sociology, even if s/he is mentioned in many sociological studies (such as Barack Obama, Martin Luther King, or Gandhi) should not be included.
- For further information, please see the 'Assessment' and 'Article lists & tools' tabs for this WikiProject.
|Sociology articles by quality and importance|
|WikiWork factors (?)||ω =14,079||Ω = 4.83|
The article alerts list provides information on which sociology-related Wikipedia articles are subject to various discussions, including peer review requests, or are in need of urgent assistance and/or review.
- Articles for deletion
- 07 Apr 2014 – Internetization was AfDed by Bhny (t · c); see discussion (7 participants; relisted)
- 06 Apr 2014 – Porn 2.0 was AfDed by HYH.124 (t · c); see discussion (5 participants; relisted)
- 21 Mar 2014 – List of military units in the 2014 Crimean crisis was AfDed by Debi07 (t · c); see discussion (3 participants)
- 04 Apr 2014 – Making People Pay: The Economic Sociology of Taxation AfDed by DGG (t · c) was deleted; see discussion (7 participants)
- Proposed deletions
- 15 Apr 2014 – Families, Relationships and Societies was PRODed by Randykitty (t · c): Non-notable new journal. Not indexed in any ''selective'' databases, no independent sources. Does not meet WP:NJournals or WP:GNG.
- Categories for discussion
- 14 Apr 2014 – Category:Society by country was CfDed by Fayenatic london (t · c); see discussion
- 21 Mar 2014 – Category:African slaves in the Americas was CfDed by Obiwankenobi (t · c); see discussion
- 21 Mar 2014 – Category:Slaves of the Muslim world was CfDed by Obiwankenobi (t · c); see discussion
- Good article nominees
- 29 Mar 2014 – Cutting the Mustard: Affirmative Action and the Nature of Excellence was GA nominated by Cirt (t · c); see discussion
- Requested moves
- 14 Apr 2014 – Sociological classifications of religious movements is requested to be moved to Classifications of religious movements by Piotrus (t · c); see discussion
- 30 Mar 2014 – Structuration is requested to be moved to Structuration theory by EdJohnston (t · c); see discussion
- 29 Mar 2014 – Woman warrior is requested to be moved to Women Warriors in Literature and Popular Culture by Beag maclir (t · c); see discussion
- 08 Apr 2014 – Social network move request to Social network (social sciences) by Meclee (t · c) was closed; see discussion
Please feel free to improve new sociology-related articles, including possibly some of those listed here from AlexNewArtBot/SociologySearchResult. New articles should be reviewed to see if they fit within the scope of this project. If they do, our WikiProject assessment template should be added to them and they need to be assessed on their talk page for quality and importance. Various copyediting may be required, such as adding a stub template or categories, and the article creators may need to be welcomed to Wikipedia and/or invited to our project.
This list was generated from these rules. Questions and feedback are always welcome! The search is being run daily with the most recent ~14 days of results. Note: Some articles may not be relevant to this project.
If you are interested in learning more on how to use Wikipedia in teaching, expand the box below to learn more.
|How to use Wikipedia in teaching - click on "show" to the right to expand|
Consider a student assignment to create or improve articles related to sociology.
Related WikiProjects and pages
- WikiProject Anthropology
- WikiProject Community
- WikiProject Discrimination
- WikiProject Ethnic groups
- WikiProject Family and relationships
- WikiProject Feminism
- WikiProject Gender studies
- WikiProject Globalization
- WikiProject Human rights
- WikiProject LGBT studies
- WikiProject Organizations
- WikiProject Politics
- WikiProject Psychology
- WikiProject Social work
- List of all subpages of this page
Our members are likely to meet at various sociological conferences around the world. If you are going to a conference and would like to meet with other members of this project, please start a new topic for the conference on our discussion page.
Projects in other languages