While you read this, Wikipedia and its sister projects grow at a rate of over 10 edits/sec by editors from all over the world. Currently, English Wikipedia includes 4,677,004 articles and it is increased every day with over 800 new articles. This amount of data can be analysed in a huge number of ways. The best way to get an idea of the bigger picture is with statistics.
This page shows some figures about Wikipedia, analysis of different patterns and compiles related tools, covering various aspects of Wikipedia, whether as an encyclopedia, a website, or a community. Some provide current snapshots and others track growth and development over time. It includes also frameworks and datasets that can help you in creating your own statistics.
A number of analysis of wiki metrics like edits, page creation, visits and links. In the form of lists, tables and rankings.
- Database reports – An index of automatically generated reports about English Wikipedia (GitHub)
- Size of Wikipedia – by count of articles
- Modelling Wikipedia's growth – analysis of the count of articles, attempting to fit mathematical growth models
- Number of words, edits, articles (by month), e.g. for English: http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaEN.htm
- Time between edits – Length of time (measured in days) between each block of 10,000,000 edits made to Wikipedia, starting January 16, 2001 and ending with the most recently completed block (viz., September 12, 2011)
- Article traffic jumps – a place to document unusual jumps in article traffic.
- Articles and edits
- List of Wikipedians by number of edits – 10,000 editors with highest editcounts, updated daily.
- List of Wikipedians by number of recent edits – Updated based on data as of 16 January 2011.
- List of Wikipedians by article count – 5,000 editors with highest article counts updated weekly.
Graph showing the number of days between every 10,000,000 edits.
- User:Emijrp/External Links Ranking – Top 1000 most linked domains from external links as of April 2011 (all namespaces).
- linkypedia (Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2010-08-16/In the news#In brief)
- http://stats.grok.se – FAQ at User:Killiondude/stats
- Wikitop – Top 30 most popular articles by categories, with user comments on traffic jumps.
- Wikipedia's reach, traffic and ranking compared to other websites – graphs and comparison statistics provided by Alexa Internet
- Wikipedia compared with other sites – graph using the above to compare Wikipedia against various top 10 sites.
- Category:Lists of popular pages by WikiProject – These projects use pageview data to focus article improvement efforts on popular but poor quality articles.
- Wikipedia:Lists of popular pages by WikiProject
- Wikipedia:Top 25 Report – Top 25 most popular articles weekly chart.
- WikiViewStats – interactive chart of most accessed pages
- TreeViews – Monthly view statistics for category trees
- Wikitrends – Top 10 today/this week/this month, and trends (also links for other-language Wikipedia)
- User:West.andrew.g/Popular pages – Current weekly 5,000 most popular articles based on raw data
- Wikipedia is more popular than... – a list of Alexa traffic comparisons
- Top 100 pages for all of 2013 – Also links for other-language Wikipedias.
|This section requires expansion.|
Deletion and vandalism statistics
- As of June 2014, more than 1000 pages are deleted from Wikipedia each day.
- Statistics about deletion and other administrator actions can be found at the WP:Adminstats page.
- A list of recently deleted files can be found at Special:Log/delete.
- Revision deletion statistics can be found here.
The following tools include artistic, graphs, maps and other visualization projects.
|Listen to Wikipedia||Edits||GitHub||A visual and audio illustration of live editing activity on Wikipedia.|
|stats.grok.se||Page views||GitHub||Page views statistics for several Wikipedia languages. You can select by month and the last 30, 60 or 90 days. It can be exported in JSON.|
|Wiki Trends||Page views||English Wikipedia articles traffic statistics. Trend lines for several articles can be shown in one chart. Linear, logarithmic and normalised vertical scales are possible.|
|Wiki ViewStats||Page views||Usage statistics with hit lists (top 100,000) by category, single page request, 24-hour statistics, personal favorites, global project totals (today, per month, 30, 60, 90 days). + Wiki thanks statistics. Hourly updates.|
|WikiChecker||Edits||Actuality of Wikipedia based on last edits, ranking by users and pages. Edit-war detector and more.|
|Wikimedia Report Card||Edits
|GitHub||Numbers and graphs for several core metrics (including unique visitors and page views for the entirety of Wikimedia projects), updated monthly.|
|Wikipedia Statistics||Edits||Erik Zachte's statistics for all projects and all languages. Updated monthly.|
|wikipulse||Edits||GitHub||A real-time view of current edit rates on various major language Wikipedias using node.js. The app connects to Wikimedia IRC chatrooms where page edits are announced by a bot, and keeps track of the edits.|
|wlm-stats||GLAM||GitHub||Statistics and graphs about the Wiki Loves Monuments photograph contest. It offers metadata files to create your own statistics.|
|wmcharts[dead link]||Edits||GitHub||A collection of charts about Wikimedia projects, including activity on recent changes, new pages, deletions, blocks, protections, file uploads, reverts and more.|
|wmcounter||Edits||GitHub||A near real-time edit counter for all Wikimedia projects together. Every increase means that someone in any part of the world has clicked the "Save" button and sent her changes. Pretty amazing to see, perfect for background in wiki conferences. The 1 billionth edit took place on April 16, 2010.|
- mediawiki-utilities – A set of utilities for accessing and processing MediaWiki data, including XML dumps
There are available some datasets that you can download and process:
- Wikipedia:Database download
- Page view statistics for Wikimedia projects – raw page access data for all Wikipedia projects, in all languages (see Wikimedia page views, some good and bad news)
The following statistical resources are currently unavailable or no longer updated, and listed for historical interest. They are sorted by the month in which they were last updated:
- 2010 May – Awareness statistics – tracking growth in public awareness
- 2010 January – comScore audience measurement data – analysis of data donated by one of the third-party measurement services
- 2009 September – THEwikiStics: Page Hits top 1000+ long-term(compare traffic | searches) | Logged search terms | popular last hour | Most missed articles
- 2009 June – Wikipedia:Vandalism statistics
- 2009 April – User:Bryan/List of users by pages created
- 2008 October – Multilingual statistics – monthly details of total article count, and analysis of the monthly rate of article growth, for each version of Wikipedia.
- 2008 May – Most frequently edited pages – Updated based on data as of 23 May 2008.
- 2007 June – Wikimedia page views (Referrers) "not very scientific, but some might find it interesting"
- 2006 September – Articles which are number 1 for one-word Google searches
- 2006 July – WikiProject creation and attrition trends
- 2006 March – Stub percentages, information on stubs as a percentage of total articles
- 2006 January – Most referenced articles, a list of the articles that are linked to by the greatest number of other articles
- 2006 January – Search engine statistics
- 2005 October – Wikipedia:Words per article
- 2005 July – Alterego's WikiPulse (which has now disappeared) gathered many statistics every hour from various sources. Some of the statistics, such as the mailing list totals, most active Wikipedian per hour and per day, and most edited article per hour and per day were unique. There was also an rss feed[dead link], and instructions on how to read some of the more interesting graphs.
- 2004 February/October – Web browsers used to access Wikipedia
- 2004 August – List of Wikipedians by most recent edit – listed based on number of articles to which they had made the most recent edit
- 2004 April – As below, but updated (now gone)[dead link]
- 2004 April – Traffic – an old system for measuring traffic
- 2004 March – A whole list of accessed Wikipedia pages: (as of 23 March 2004: 38 MB) is a list of all pages accessed in March 2004 (as of 23 March 2004: 684,000), in all namespaces, sorted by number of times that they have been accessed; includes pages that do not exist[dead link]. URLs are taken until ampersand or question mark, if any, hence w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Allpages&from=Train falls under w/wiki.phtml, but the equivalent wiki/Special:Allpages/Train would be listed separately (now gone)
- 2004 February – Pages from English Wikipedia with more than 1000 hits & Wikipedia namespace
- 2004 February – Pages from English Wikipedia with more than 1000 hits
- 2003 March – List of articles frequently visited through Google
- Does Wikipedia traffic obey Zipf's law? – as of September 2006, the answer appears to be "yes, approximately".
- Top 500 websites by number of inbound links from Wikipedia – reveals most linked domains from external Wikipedia links. Updated November 2006.
- User:Dragons flight/Log analysis – Edit rate, Edits per article, Revert rate, New articles, new users, new administrators, Uploads and admin actions. Updated Oct 2007.
- Editing frequency – Statistics on users' editing activity, monthly from January 2001 through September 2008.
- Wikipedia Workload Analysis for Decentralized Hosting – July 2009 analysis of a sample of Wikipedia's traffic over a 107-day period.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to English Wikipedia statistics.|
- Statistics page for Wikimedia
- Milestones for Wikimedia projects
- Wikipedia:Wikipedia records
- Wikipedia:Statistics Department – an inactive WikiProject
- Wikipedia:WikiProject edit counters
- Temporal Analysis of the Wikigraph – Technical Report, 2006.
- Wikipedia's landmarks
- Wikipedia article traffic
- Wikipedia article depth
- User:Emijrp/All human knowledge
- Wikimedia Foundation analytics team pages on MediaWiki.org, with e.g. definitions of some common metrics
- Erik Zachte's site
- Wikistats: Wikimedia Statistics
- List of tools in WikiPapers, with some statistical tools for wikis and Wikipedia
- A list of Wikipedia articles created last month/week/day with most users contributing to article within the same period.
- Wikipedia Page History Statistics