Wikipedia:Simplest diff guide
This page is a how-to guide detailing a practice or process on the English Wikipedia.
|The 3-tier diff and link series|
How to make a diff
A diff is a permanent link to a single edit or set of edits, showing the difference between the before and after versions. Without diffs, those trying to help you may not know what you are referring to. If you simply claim that "editor X has posted several personal attacks on talkpages" or "editor Y is edit warring on George W. Bush", you may be told "Diffs or it didn't happen."
This is how to make a diff:
- Find the page which contains the edit you want to refer to.
- Click on its History tab.
- Find the edit in the History list. (If that's a problem, clicking on (prev) next to each item in the list will let you read each one.)
- To obtain a copy of the URL for the diff, right-click on its (prev) button and select "Copy link location", "copy shortcut", or however your browser expresses it. The URL of the diff you want is now in your clipboard.
- Alternatively, you can click (prev) and, when you are viewing the new page, copy its URL from the address bar.
To properly link a diff, paste it into your text where you want it to appear. Include all parts of it, starting from "//en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=". Put single square brackets, [ ], around it. It is not necessary or useful to include the "http" or "https" protocol.
[//en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&diff=212488423&oldid=210742813] will show up as  and will link to the Main Page.