The WikiCup is a championship that has taken place every year on Wikipedia since 2007. The Cup is played and won by skill of editing. The purpose of the Cup is to encourage content improvement and make editing on Wikipedia more fun. The 2014 WikiCup began on January 1; signups closed on February 5. The competition is open to all editors, new and old. If you are interested in following the WikiCup but do not wish to take part, please add your name to Wikipedia:WikiCup/Newsletter/Send. All contestants will be added automatically.
The plan for the layout of the 2014 tournament is as follows (please note that points are reset to zero after the end of each round):
- January 1 to February 26 – We start with one group of all contestants, with the top 64 from that group progressing.
- March 1 to April 28 – 64 contestants left – 8 groups of 8, the top two in each pool progressing, as well as the top 16 of all remaining users.
- May 1 to June 28 – 32 contestants left – 4 groups of 8, the top two in each pool will progress, as well as the top eight of all remaining users.
- July 1 to August 29 – 16 contestants left – 2 groups of 8, the top two in each pool will progress, as well as the top four of all remaining users.
- September 1 to October 31 – 8 contestants left – 1 group of 8, the top one will win!
For the full rules clarifying what points can be awarded for, see Wikipedia:WikiCup/Scoring. However, the spirit of the rules is more important than the letter, and the judges reserve the right to deny points to anyone deemed to be abusing the system, as well as remove persistently problematic users from the competition. The judges for the WikiCup are J Milburn (talk · contribs · email), The ed17 (talk · contribs · email) and Miyagawa (talk · contribs · email).
If you believe one of the contestants is abusing the spirit of the rules, intentionally submitting subpar articles with the aim of getting more WikiCup points, or anything similar, please contact one or more of the judges. They will look into the matter and take action if necessary.
|Featured article||Good article||Featured list||Featured picture||Featured portal||Featured topic||Good topic||Did you know?||In the news||Good article reviews|
|100||30||45||35||45||10 per article||3 per article||5 or 10||10||4|
The scores and other information can also be seen using this unofficial tool.
|User is still competing.|
|User has been eliminated.|
|User has withdrawn.|
|Sturmvogel 66 (submissions)||0||60||0||0||0||0||0||20||0||0||6||86|
|Adam Cuerden (submissions)||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|