Welcome to the main page of the Alien WikiProject. The project launched on February 25, 2008. Currently, we have 5 active members. Please see the discussion page for information on various project-related collaborations.
WikiProject Alien was formed to foster the creation and encyclopedic improvement of Alien-related articles, and to establish guidelines for those articles. Its members endeavor to produce a succinct, comprehensive, general, and authoritative reference on Alien materials. Additionally, the WikiProject works to ensure that all related articles attain the standards set by WP:FICT and WP:WAF. In order to reach these standards, the WikiProject discourages extreme details and encourages an out-of-universe perspective for all prose (excluding concise plot summaries). The ultimate goal of the project is to have every article within its scope be at featured status. To participate, simply add your name to the participants section.
Recent changes in Alien-related articles
Seeing as the Alien franchise covers multiple branches of entertainment, the WikiProject is therefore a sub-project of numerous collaborations:
If interested, please sign our participants section.
Scope and goals
The goal of the Alien Wikiproject is to organize, clean, and improve Alien information within a format that fits Wikipedia's fictional procedures to, ultimately, the level of quality stressed in the Featured Article and Featured List guidelines.
Currently, this WikiProject covers the following items:
- Anyone affiliated with the concept of Alien, including the musicians, casts, and crews of every Alien film.
- Anything featured on the Alien portal.
- Anything located within an Alien or Alien-affiliated category, sub-category, list, article, stub, or template.
Goals and duties
Our goals and duties are as follows:
- Discussions and debates relating to the above items, including merges, citations, other references, image issues, splits, cleanup, formatting, and expansion.
- Reduce trivial information, speculation, point of view, and anything else that violates Wikipedia's Fictional Guidelines.
- Monitoring all articles for violations of anything listed in the above two parts.
- Work toward making all Alien-related articles and lists clean, organized, well-written, and accessible.
- Bring numerous articles to Good Article, Featured Article, and/or Featured List status.
We need the participation of Wikipedians and Alien fans alike. Here are some general guidelines to follow.
How to help
- Please sign your name below and introduce yourself in the monthly roll call section of the talk page.
- Take a look at recent discussions and the things to do page to see if your ideas have already been or need to be addressed.
- Get to know other users so that you can get a sense of the Project's attitude and each member's opinions on what should be merged, expanded, and so on. This will allow you to work better with the team, especially on major projects.
- Make sure you cite your sources, follow the project's guidelines in addition to style guidelines, and follow the discussions and agreements for the project.
- Look for text that seems biased (see WP:NPOV) and fix it.
- Be bold, but do not be reckless. See the above items and the section below for further information on what to do and what not to do.
How not to help
- Insert un-cited and trivial information (see: WP:FICT, Fancruft).
- Revert war (adherence to the One Revert Rule is encouraged)
- Add original research, unsourced claims, speculation, point of view, excess video game information, vandalism, and patent nonsense.
Things to remember
- This is a general interest encyclopedia, not GameFAQs or Wookieepedia. Full histories and backgrounds of characters go into far more detail than Wikipedia wants.
- Only a few characters or creatures deserve their own entries. Items, spaceships, planets, and other miscellanea do not.
- See: What Wikipedia is Not.
- Again, we stress: this project is mainly for cleanup, organization, enhancement, factual fixes, and so on. Trivial information and fanfiction are frowned upon.
If some of these items seem redundant, it only underscores what we all believe in as a group.
The following is a chart of our largest tasks. For a complete list, please see the things to do subpage, in addition to our talk page. See the opentask template at the top of the page for the priority tasks. Project members, this chart should feature "priority one" tasks!
Make sure to visit the Alien Portal. Also you can vote for the selected article of the month at Portal:Alien/Vote.
Collaboration of the month
The Alien Collaboration of the month is a group effort to improve a specific Alien article on Wikipedia every month. To help out or vote for next month's candidate please see the Alien Collaboration of the month page.
- See the Wikipedia:WikiProject Alien/index for a list of Alien-related articles that do not require significant attention. Chances are, if an item doesn't belong on that list or isn't on there, it needs to be fixed (make a note on the things to do page and/or the discussion page).
- Also remember that there is an Alien barnstar that you can give out to deserving editors (and a userbox for those who are awarded the barnstar).