|This is a WikiProject, an area for focused collaboration among Wikipedians.
Welcome to WikiProject Biophysics. Several Wikipedians, initially from the Biophysical Society, have formed this collaboration resource and group dedicated to improving Wikipedia's coverage of Biophysics and the organization of information and articles on this topic. This page and its subpages contain their suggestions and various resources; it is hoped that this project will help to focus the efforts of other Wikipedians interested in the topic. If you would like to help, please join the project, inquire on the talk page and see the to-do list below.
Ben Lillie, in the Atlantic Monthly, wrote about one of our WikiProject Biophysics Good Articles, which happens to be a biography of Frederic Richards, his grandfather: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/11/what-wikipedia-taught-me-about-my-grandfather/382826 .
Biophysics Wiki-edit Contest!
Starting at the February Biophysical Society meeting in San Francisco, the society is sponsoring the second annual contest for the most improved biophysics-related articles, image collections, or other contributions to Wikipedia or Commons, or other relevant progress - this year's emphasis is on upload of open-license media. You can sign up on the Biophysics wiki-edit contest page as an entrant, where there are also more details. Six winners will get $100, a barnstar on their talk page, and free 2015 membership and registration to the 2015 Biophysical Society meeting in Baltimore. All entrants will get a neat button to wear. Winners have now been announced.
- 1 Media attention
- 2 Biophysics Wiki-edit Contest!
- 3 Goals
- 4 Open tasks
- 5 Participants
- 6 Articles
- 7 Article assessment and review
- 8 Categories
- 9 Templates
- 10 Resources
- Improve articles related to biophysics topics
- Provide a place where editors interested in biophysics can work together and coordinate
- Improve the categorization of biophysics topics
Biophysics can be described as a branch of science that applies techniques from physics to the study of biology. This project will primarily cover articles about subject-area results and methods in biophysics, but also general overviews, history, organizations, and people.
|To-do list for Wikipedia:WikiProject Biophysics:|
Please feel free to add yourself here, and to indicate any areas of particular interest.
- Dcrjsr (talk · contribs) (Interests: structural biology & structural bioinformatics, adding relevant images to Commons , and helping organize editing efforts in this area.) 17:21, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
- jeremyblock (talk · contribs) (Interests: history of the fields, the impacts on broader society of biophysics, on structural biology, and on structural bioinformatics. I'm interested in helping to expand and cross-link the efforts to other parts of Wikipedia.) 20:44, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
- subcellular (talk · contribs) (Interests: ion channels and G protein-coupled receptors) 21:35, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
- Antony-22 (talk · contribs) (I work in the DNA nanotechnology/synthetic biology/systems biology world, and can also contribute more generally.) 19:17, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
- Wbarendall (talk · contribs) (I am interested in working. I do that structure voodoo, like I do so well.) 21:04, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
- RockMagnetist (talk · contribs) (I am interested in magnetoception.) 02:29, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
- DavetheMage (talk · contribs) (Interests: crystallography of proteins and RNAs, molecular graphics.) 05:34, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
- Rickludescher (talk · contribs) (Interests: protein structure and dynamics; luminescence techniques; solid state biomolecules; history of biophysics) 22:36, 26 February 2012 (UTC)
- Kreuzer5 (talk · contribs) (Interests: molecular mechanics)
- Shanata (talk · contribs) (Interests: ion channels/electrophysiology, structure-function studies, small molecule ligands) 19:54, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
- Daniel Mietchen (talk · contribs) (General interest in linking biophysics to other areas; special interest in Magnetic Resonance Microscopy) 14:03, 7 March 2012 (UTC)
- Pablo.gainza (talk · contribs) (Interests: protein design methods, empirical energy functions, rotamer libraries.) 21:16, 9 March 2012 (UTC)
- videau (talk · contribs) (Interests: protein structure/function) 15:00, 19 June 2012 (UTC)
- Keilana (talk · contribs) (Interests: not sure yet, but I'm studying to be a biophysicist so I'm sure I'll figure that out eventually.) 05:23, 6 November 2012 (UTC)
- Mark viking (talk · contribs) (Interests: DNA and protein dynamics, evolution and genetics, complex systems approaches to molecular biology) 04:28, 16 December 2012 (UTC)
- jjheadd (talk · contribs) (Interests: macromolecular crystallography, structure refinement, methods development) 09:08, 24 January 2013 (UTC)
- themadbiochemist (talk · contribs) (Interests: macromolecular crystallography, crystal growth, high-resolution crystallography) 09:21, 24 January 2013 (UTC)
- GJKapral (talk · contribs) (Interests: RNA structure validation, esp. the three Rs: ribosomes, ribozymes, riboswitches; RNA-protein interactions) 20:42, 28 January 2013 (UTC)
- AGC (talk · contribs) (Interests: Protein Structure - Analysis, Description, Prediction and Design) 02:51, 1 February 2013 (UTC)
- Vinchenzo8 (talk · contribs) (Interests: macromolecular structure, visualization, validation) 15:23, 5 February 2013 (UTC)
- mis2066 (talk · contribs) (Interests: computational chemistry, quantum mechanics, molecular dynamics, ligand binding, ion channels and transporters, biophysical chemistry, x-ray crystallography) 02:00, 21 February 2013 (UTC)
- SharksandPain (talk · contribs) (Interest: general interest, sensory biophysics, ion channels, GPCR, NGF, electrophysiology) SharksandPain (talk) 06:15, 22 February 2013 (UTC)
- Qxukhgiels (talk · contribs) (Interests: computational chemistry, quantum mechanics, medicinal physics, molecular dynamics, ion channels and transporters, and biophysical chemistry, etc.)
Please feel free to list new Biophysics-related articles here (newer articles at the top, please). Any new articles that have an interesting or unusual fact in them, are at least over 1,500 characters of prose, don't have any dispute templates on them, and cite their sources, should be suggested for the Did you know? box on the Wikipedia Main Page.
- List of biophysically important macromolecular crystal structures - DYK Feb. 28, 2014
- Structure validation
- King-Wai Yau
- Karolin Luger
Article assessment and review
- This table is automatically updated by Oleg Alexandrov's WP 1.0 bot. See the log for the latest changes.
- General assessment guidelines are listed at assessment
- List requests for assessment at Wikipedia:WikiProject Biophysics/Assessment#Requests for assessment
- For general peer review, post here: Peer review
- For peer review of an article by a member of the biophysics WikiProject, post the article here:
- Lists of biophysics articles include...
Please post this on the talk pages of biophysics-related articles.
Feel free to place this on your user page after joining the project.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Definitions from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|News stories from Wikinews|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Computational Biology
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Neuroscience
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Organismal Biomechanics
- Wikipedia:WikiProject RNA
- Main tool page: toolserver.org
- Reflinks – Edits bare references - adds title/dates etc. to bare references
- Checklinks – Edit and repair external links
- Dab solver – Quickly resolve ambiguous links.
- Peer reviewer – Provides hints and suggestion to improving articles.