Wikipedia:WikiProject British Empire
...on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
The British Empire WikiProject was formed in order to foster better articles within its scope with a spirit of cooperation. The participants are a group dedicated to improving Wikipedia's coverage of topics related to the British Empire. This WikiProject is modelled on Wikiproject Commonwealth realms and was started in June, 2008. It is our hope that this project will provide an amicable atmosphere in which the efforts of interested Wikipedians can be focussed. If you would like to help, please inquire on our talk page and visit our to do page.
- If there is a technical or design problem please contact Cameron.
- If there is a problem that requires an administrator's attention view the status section of the participants list.
- For more information on WikiProjects, please see Wikipedia:WikiProject and the Guide to WikiProjects.
What is the British Empire?
The British Empire was the largest empire in history and, for over a century, was the foremost global power. It was a product of the European age of discovery, which began with the maritime explorations of the 15th century, that sparked the era of the European colonial empires. By 1921, the British Empire held sway over a population of about 458 million people, approximately one-quarter of the world's population and about a quarter of Earth's total land area. As a result, its legacy is widespread, in legal and governmental systems, economic practice, militarily, educational systems, sports, and in the global spread of the English language. At the peak of its power, it was often said that "the sun never sets on the British Empire" because its span across the globe ensured that the sun was always shining on at least one of its numerous colonies or subject nations.
- To provide guidelines and recommendations for articles that describe all aspects of the British Empire.
- To improve Wikipedia's coverage of the British Empire by creating, expanding, and maintaining such articles.
- To serve as the central point of discussion for issues related to the British Empire on Wikipedia.
- To create a consistent look and style for each page within our scope.
- To fight vandalism on articles within our scope by patrolling recent changes.
Anyone can help with this WikiProject. All we ask is that users be registered, and are familiar with Wikipedia's various policies and guidelines.
Follow the steps below to add yourself to our list of participants!
Add your name---> the date and time---> and your special interests....and you are an official member!
|User||Time and date||Relevant interests and specialist knowledge||Status|
|Cameron (Co-founder)||19:30, 19 June 2008 (UTC)||Lists of monarchs, British government, British monarchs.||User|
|MichiganCharms (Co-founder)||19:31, 19 June 2008 (UTC)||Dominions, colonial governments, economics, etc.||User|
|Rrius (Co-founder)||06:22, 20 June 2008 (UTC)||Early empire, colonial government and governance (especially US, Canada, and India)||User|
|Commander Zulu||11:16, 20 June 2008 (UTC)||Firearms & Military of the British Empire||User|
|The_one092001||23:58, 21 June 2008 (UTC)||Military history, WWII, Pacific Expansion, Grammatical clean-up||User|
|Gazzster||14:23, 22 June 2008 (UTC)||Politics, constitutional development, Australia, religion||User|
|Jim Sweeney||06:41, July 14 2008 (UTC)||Military History||User|
|Thesocialistesq||04:04 June 28 2008||Copyediting, titles and forms of address, politics and governance, the early 19th century.||User|
|Skookum1||14:08, 2 August 2008 (UTC)||Fur trade-era and colonial British Columbia/British North Pacific, conflicting imperial claims/disputes in that area etc., related native and Western US history||User|
|TharkunColl||21:38, 7 August 2008 (UTC)||General British Empire history||User|
|Phunting||02:50, 2 October 2008 (UTC)||Fiction, general British Empire history||User|
|Taifarious1||23:17, 8 October 2008||Specifically New Zealand, the topic of republicanism in both New Zealand and Australia, but the commonwealth in general and some work on Government Houses of New Zealand.||User|
|Darkshark0159||15:13, 20 October 2008||General British Empire history||User|
|Simon Harley||16:50, 7 April 2009 (UTC)||Royal Navy late nineteenth/early twentieth centuries.||User|
|Goldblooded||3rd Novemeber 2011||Scramble for Africa in the 19th century, Aftermath of WW1/2, Suez Crisis and subsequent decolonisation||User|
|NotOnIsraPal||00:50, 28 May 2012||I did, and am continuing to do, the Mau Mau Uprising article; also the related Chuka massacre, and migrated archives. I'm interested in all aspects of the British Empire.||User|
|Knight of Gloucestershire||29th June 2012||British Monarchs, British Hong Kong||User|
|teb00007||21:20 27 July 2013||History of the empire, particularly Australia, Canada and New Zealand||User|
|Nford24||1536 AEST 3 January 2014||Empire history, Monarchs, Australia, New Zealand & the military of the Empire||User|
|adamblack93||01:13, 4 May 2014 (UTC)||History of the British empire, particularly the Royal Navy and the empire's military. Also the Falkland Islands and the colonies of the South Atlantic.||User|
|IseeEwe||04:36, 10 August 2014 (UTC)||WWII military||User|
For a list of the articles deemed most important to this project see Wikipedia:WikiProject British Empire/Important.
The project generally considers any article related to the British Empire to be a valid topic. A simple (but accurate) way of checking which pages are within our scope is to follow click "What links here" in the "toolbox" section of this page. The scope template is added to pages within our WikiProject. Anyone may add an article to the scope, provided they are sure that it is relevant to the project. An article may be in the scope of multiple WikiProjects. Where this is true one should be sure to contact the other WikiProjects too so as to avoid conflicts. If you are not sure whether to add the template, propose it at the talk page first.
For templates relevant to the British Empire see this page.
- The scope template: This template is used to add articles to our project's scope. The scope template can be found here.
- The Userbox: The userbox may be used by anyone who is a member of our project. Using the userbox helps people to identify Wikipedians as members of this project. The userbox template can be found here.
- A list of pages that need creating or special attention can be found here. Feel free to add an article to the list or discuss on the project talk page.
- You can experiment with edits and put up links on the discussion prior to them going "live" here.
- A list of the articles most important to the project can be found here.
- A list of hepful websites and other resources can be found here.
- Sister project: Wikipedia:WikiProject Commonwealth realms
- United Kingdom: Wikipedia:WikiProject British Government
- Canada, Wikipedia:WikiProject Canada
- Main tool page: toolserver.org
- Reflinks - Edits bare references - adds title/dates etc. to bare references
- Checklinks - Edit and repair external links
- Dab solver - Quickly resolve ambiguous links.
- Peer reviewer - Provides hints and suggestion to improving articles.