Wikipedia:WikiProject Shopping Centers
|This WikiProject is believed to be inactive. If you are not currently a member of the project, please consider joining it and/or its parent project WikiProject Architecture to help. This tag may be removed if activity resumes, or if this tag has been placed in error.
- WP:SHOP redirects here. For Wikimedia products, see Wikipedia:Merchandise. For other targets, see WP:SHOPPING.
WikiProject Shopping Centers, formerly WikiProject Dead Malls, is a project to better organise information in articles related to shopping centers. This page and its subpages contain their suggestions; it is hoped that this project will help to focus the efforts of other Wikipedians. If you would like to help, please inquire on the talk page and see the to-do list there.
- 1 Scope
- 2 Parent projects
- 3 Essays
- 4 Related WikiProjects
- 5 How you can help
- 6 Participants
- 7 Structure
- 8 Pages covered by this project
- 9 Adopt an article
- 10 Templates
- 11 Assessment
- 12 Resources
- 13 Article alerts
- 14 See also
- 15 External watchlist
WikiProject Shopping Centers exists to better coordinate efforts to enlarge and improve Wikipedia's coverage of notable shopping centers. Specifically, it deals with all articles relating to indoor shopping malls, outdoor shopping centers, and also dead malls.
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Retailing
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Deletion sorting/Malls
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Brands
How you can help
To build the community:
- Join this project by adding your name to the list below.
- Add this page to your watchlist, and keep up with what needs doing.
To identify and improve shopping center pages:
- Locate pages that need attention, then add them to the list below.
- Have a go at editing a page from the list below.
- To provide guidelines for writing about dead malls.
Join in the discussion
Articles to Improve
- Hey Y'all!! Just created one and updated another. The Mall at Westlake needs some more research done. The Birmingham News has an online archive that I searched that has plenty of articles but I don't have the money to pay for them. It's an old mall that had a significant impact on West Jefferson county during the 70s. If anybody has info or old pictures, please contrib! Southlake Mall in Atlanta was recently foreclosed on. I updated but it still needs some more research on its future.Taylor2646 (talk) 22:00, 2 July 2013 (UTC)
- Everett Mall This article just got a big history write up but it still needs copy-editing, grammar and a thesaurus! Who wants a crack at it! Publichall (talk)
- List of shopping malls in the United States needs to have several articles created for 'no links' and to replace 'directly external' links.
- Carrefour de l'Estrie to differentiate it from Carrefour Laval (sadly, the French confounds me, and adds to my faulty(?) searching)
- Neither are great articles, both consisting mostly of tenant lists, so there is no doubt that they need improvement. But when you speak of differentiation, what do you mean? One mall is in Sherbrooke, the other in Laval, almost 200 km from one another. The articles do clearly state the locations. Skeezix1000 (talk) 17:10, 5 August 2008 (UTC)
- List of shopping malls in India is a complete mess if someone is looking for something to do. OlEnglish (talk) 06:39, 3 September 2008 (UTC)
- List of largest shopping malls in the world. Please look at the long Talk page. Accuracy and integrity of the list is questionable. Briarfallen (talk) 22:26, 4 March 2011 (UTC)
- Magnolia Mall - I recently created this article, and it is in need of some expansion. Help from anyone who is familiar with the history or property in general is greatly appreciated. WikiRedactor (talk) 21:13, 10 February 2013 (UTC)
- SM Lanang Premier This article has a lot more to do 22.214.171.124 (talk) 03:34, 9 April 2013 (UTC)
- TheListUpdater 16:46, 23 August 2007 (UTC)
- SchuminWeb (Talk) 00:35, 27 March 2006 (UTC)
- User:Isipeoria Isipeoria 23:14, 29 March 2006 (UTC)
- Karrmann 04:19, 1 July 2006 (UTC)
- 1ne 00:04, 2 October 2006 (UTC)
- Caldorwards4 05:48, 26 October 2006 (UTC)
- Darkdan 06:48, 7 December 2006 (UTC)
- Badbilltucker 19:53, 15 December 2006 (UTC)
- dml 10:33, 30 December 2006 (UTC)
- ArkansasTraveler 14:05, 3 January 2007 (UTC)
- CaseyIsDShiz 02:38, 5 January 2007 (UTC)
- Irongargoyle 05:07, 15 January 2007 (UTC)
- akronpow 14:31, 16 January 2007 (UTC)
- TenPoundHammer 17:51, 17 February 2007 (UTC)
- PatricknoddyTALK (reply here)|HISTORY
- wpktsfs 03:09, 8 April 2007 (UTC)
- Mhking 01:08, 15 April 2007 (UTC)
- DGG 10:41, 15 April 2007 (UTC)
- Brad E. Williams 15:45, 19 April 2007 (UTC)
- Elonka 17:25, 19 April 2007 (UTC)
- Thewinchester (talk) 03:41, 20 April 2007 (UTC)
- Garrie 05:57, 24 April 2007 (UTC) Mainly interested in Westfield Group and (placename) Marketplace such as Wagga Wagga Marketplace, Plumpton Marketplace, Newington Marketplace etc.
- Skeezix1000 19:16, 26 April 2007 (UTC)
- Chicken-7 10:10, 26 May 2007 (UTC)
- Pafcool2 10:46, 27 May 2007 (UTC)
- Metallic95 User Page | Talk 14:04, 1 June 2007 (UTC) Mostly San Francisco Bay Area articles for now
- Edison 01:14, 19 June 2007 (UTC)
- bob rulz 09:29, 7 July 2007 (UTC)
- Fhqwgads 18:08, 15 July 2007 (UTC)
- Deadeuclid 05:19, 23 November 2007 (UTC)
- Mbisanz (talk) 20:12, 7 December 2007 (UTC) Any copy editing tasks.
- Sasquatch4510 20:13, 9 December 2007 (UTC) Canadian shopping centres.
- (♠Taifarious1♠) 02:36, 18 December 2007 (UTC)
- Kevin (talk) 08:51, 18 January 2008 (UTC)
- James Bond (talk) 20:25, 23 February 2008 (UTC)
- Asdfasdf1231234 (talk) 19:40, 3 March 2008 (UTC) - Mainly UK centres
- Chexmix53 (talk) 21:26, 13 March 2008 (UTC) Las Vega]s Malls, the Jacksonville Mall, NC, and Summit Place and Great Lakes Crossing in MI.
- Colmiga 11:45, 26 March 2008 (UTC) Knowledge on lots of shopping centres located in Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia.
- Floridian06 13:35 29 April 2008 (UTC) Knowledge on Orlando/Central Florida Area Shopping Centers
- Dough4872 (talk) 01:59, 30 May 2008 (UTC) Mid-Atlantic States (PA, NJ, DE, MD)
- Cavenba (talk • contribs) 19:49, 24 June 2008 (UTC) Nova Scotian Shopping Centres
- Vpuliva (talk) 01:41, 16 July 2008 (UTC)
- Dravecky (talk) 07:36, 13 August 2008 (UTC)
- Pubdog (talk) 16:35, 27 August 2008 (UTC)
- mstie3kmst (talk) 10:36, 03 October 2008 (UTC)
- Canuck85 (talk) 23:37, 3 October 2008 (UTC)
- WM86 (talk) WM-86 03:26, 22 November 2008 (UTC) Had a vivid dream about a young woman with a striking resemblance to Jessica Stroup from 90210 last night (November 20, 2008) and I shopping at a mall, so I had to join. I would also like to revert vandalism. :)
- Yx7791 (talk) 04:06, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
- Cheong (talk) 14:01, 31 December 2009 (UTC)
- Exit2DOS • Ctrl • Alt • Del 21:20, 3 October 2009 (UTC) ... AfD Stalker & +Cite'er ;)...finally got round to signing this list.
- Xbopper (talk) 15:32, 3 February 2010 (UTC+10)
- Milowent (talk) 16:36, 3 February 2010 (UTC)
- KuwarOnline (talk) 18:04, 13 May 2010 (UTC) - working on shopping malls in, India, Mumbai,Delhi, Gurgaon, Bangalore, Chennai
- Neurodistortion (talk) 20:32, 17 June 2010 (UTC)
- Blanchardb (talk) 02:36, 21 July 2010 (UTC)
- Publichall (talk)
- MelbourneStar1 (talk) - Main interests: Westfield Group shopping centres and Australian / US shopping centres.
- User:Camstar5414 (talk) - Main interests: Australian shopping centres
- 1014cd (talk) 00:27, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
- David (talk) 20:33, 28 December 2011 (UTC) - Main interests - Maryland/Delaware
- Monorail Orange (talk) 06:51, 22 March 2012 (UTC) - Shopping centers in Southern California
- Davey2010 Talk 11:39, 28 February 2013 (UTC) - Shopping Centres in Medway / Kent.
- Taylor2646 (talk) 20:27, 2 July 2013 (UTC)
Articles about individual malls, especially defunct ones, should take a look primarily at the mall's history. Most reasonable people would not build a retail center like a shopping mall intending for it to fail. Thus the guiding question on these kinds of articles is, "What brought this facility to the state it is in today?"
A few points worth including when writing or refining an article on a shopping mall if sources can be found:
- Planning - What was there before? Why did the design take on the attributes it did?
- Construction - How long did it take to build? Any problems?
- Opening - What was the grand opening like?
- Ownership - Who owned/owns it? Were there any changes in ownership?
- Stores - What stores were in the mall when it opened? What about later years? What anchor or other noteworthy stores are in the mall now? See Wikipedia:WikiProject Shopping Centers/Anchors and tenants for more details.
- Renovations - Was the mall ever renovated? When? How many times was it renovated? What was changed? Does a source state why the mall was renovated?
If the mall is a dead mall, the following may also be taken into consideration:
- Decline - What factors caused stores to leave the mall? Was it a single event, or a series of events? Was the cause local (e.g. crime in the area, better shopping elsewhere in the town), or outside the local area (e.g. corporate decisions to close stores, especially when an anchor store is closed).
- Closure - When did the mall close (if applicable)? What caused the plug to finally be pulled on this mall? Which stores were the last to leave? Did any stores remain open after the mall itself closed?
- Disposition - What happened to the mall following its closure? Was it demolished? What replaced it? Does it remain standing and abandoned? Was the mall converted for other non-retail uses?
Ideally, such information should be listed in chronological order.
Pages covered by this project
Articles covered by this project are sorted and rated according to quality. See Wikipedia:WikiProject Shopping Centers/Assessment for more information about the rating next to the article titles.
Note: Outdated list has been removed for now.
Adopt an article
Similar to the Collaboration of the week, but on a smaller scale, you might want to "adopt" an article. This would involve doing the research, writing, and picture-taking (if possible) for either a non-existent article or a stub. Of course, everyone else can still edit an adopted article, and you can work on other things too, but the idea is to find a focus for a while, to try and build up the number of quality articles the Project has produced.
Currently, the only 3 existing Templates are:
- Template:WikiProject Shopping Centers - Placed at the top of Talk pages for articles that are within the scope of WikiProject Shopping Centers.
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Shopping Centers/userbox - Placed on the user page of any project participant.
|Shopping center articles by quality and importance|
|WikiWork factors (?)||ω =9,021||Ω = 5.42|
- Articles for deletion
- Proposed deletions
- 25 Feb 2015 – Westmount Centre was PRODed by Epeefleche (t · c): No indicia of notability, and of a size that per COMMONOUTCOMES is generally deemed non-notable.
- 20 Feb 2015 – Shoppers' Center PRODed by LibStar (t · c) was deleted