Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2005-10-10/In the news
In the news
Wales joins Socialtext board of directors
Sergey Brin lecture
Sergey Brin, multi-billionaire co-founder of Google, was a surprise guest speaker at UC Berkeley associate professor Marti Hearst's "Search Engines: Technology, Society, and Business" class on Monday, October 3. He remarked on Wikipedia: "This is a simple idea – one you would assume would not work, but it does, One reason is scale: it taps the power and potential of a global audience." (press release, link to video)
American national radio show
Newspaper columnist and radio commentator Craig Crossman recently interviewed Jimmy Wales on his nationally syndicated radio talk show on computers. On October 6, he wrote New Wikipedia truly the ‘encyclopedia of the people’, a glowing review of the site and a discussion of the ease of editing an article about his talk show, Computer America, while that show was on the air.
Article quality criticisms
Wikipedia eats Google?
Sunir Shah posted on the Socialtext website on September 30 about the increasing dominance of Wikipedia in Google search results. This prompted a flurry of blog responses, some critical of Shah's conclusions, including Steve Rubel, Brad Hill, and Elliott Back.
- Manila Bulletin, Philippines on Nautilus 
- The Gateway on pork barrel and Louisiana Purchase (in the context of Hurricane Katrina infrastructure repair) 
- The Villager on Cindy Sheehan 
- Daily News and Analysis, India, on Skunk works 
- Stockton Record on gorillas 
- CIO Asia on dual-core processors 
- Weekly Davespeak (Dave Matthews Band newszine) on DRM 
- Kenya Times on Dutch referendum on the European Constitution