Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2008-03-31/News and notes
News and notes
On Thursday, the 10,000,000th article was created. A press release circulated by the Foundation on Friday declared the 10,000,000th article to be the Hungarian article on painter Nicholas Hilliard, created by user Pataki Márta.
Of the 10,000,000 articles, 23% are in English, 7.2% are in German, and 6.4% are in French. The top 10 Wikipedias (English, German, French, Polish, Japanese, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish, and Swedish) compose about 64.9% of all articles, while about 240 other Wikipedias combine for the remaining 35.1%.
Wikimedia receives $500,000 donation
On the heels of receiving a three-year grant worth US$3 million from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation (see archived story), the Wikimedia Foundation announced last week an additional $500,000 donation from philanthropists Vinod and Neeru Khosla. Vinod Khosla is a venture capitalist, best known for co-founding Sun Microsystems. The donation was announced in a press release on Thursday.
- First deleted in March 2006, and a perennial deletion review candidate, The Game (game) was recreated after a successful deletion review, using new sources. The article has since been moved to The Game (mind game).
- The Ukrainian Wikipedia has reached 100,000 articles.
- The Min Nan Wiktionary has reached 25,000 edits.
- The Haitian Wikipedia has reached 15,000 articles.
- The Min Nan Wikipedia has reached 3,000 articles.
- The Manx Wikipedia has reached 1,000 articles.
- The Sinhalese Wikipedia has reached 500 articles.
|Also this week: