Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2008-06-09/News and notes
News and notes
Wikipedia: "Best general resource" for military research
It was recently noted that a 2007 book by Simon Fowler, Guide to Military History on the Internet, rated Wikipedia as the best general resource for military research, and the number one "military site". Fowler remarked that "The results are largely accurate and generally free of bias" and "Wikipedia is often criticised for its inaccuracy and bias, but in my experience the military history articles are spot on." He also suggested that readers join the Military history WikiProject.
The WikiProject also picked up ten photographs from war zones, taken by Getty Images photographer Jonathan Alpeyrie. Alpeyrie contacted the OTRS photo submission system to offer the pictures, and the set was uploaded over the last week.
- Wikipedia was a nominee for the 2008 Prince of Asturias Awards, in the "Communications and Humanities" category. The award was won by Google.
- The Tumbuka Wikipedia has reached 100 articles.
- The Lithuanian Wiktionary has reached 50,000 articles.
- The Estonian Wikipedia has reached 50,000 articles.
- The Belarusian (Taraškievica) Wikipedia has reached 10,000 articles.
- The Interlingue Wikipedia has reached 1,000 articles.
- The Hindi Wikipedia has reached 20,000 articles.
|Also this week:
|(← Previous News and notes)||Signpost archives||(Next News and notes→)|