Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/2008-11-17/News and notes
News and notes: Fundraiser, List Summary Service, milestones
- By Ral315, 17 November 2008
Fundraiser continues: $882,000 in first two weeks
The Wikimedia Foundation's 2008 fundraiser continued this week, raising nearly $356,000 in its second week and bringing total fundraiser contributions to $882,000 over the first two weeks. Including major gifts, the Foundation had raised over $2.79 million so far this fiscal year (since July 1).
Mailing list summaries restarted
The List Summary Service, a failed attempt to summarize the ongoings on the Foundation's mailing lists, was restarted by Phoebe after nearly 18 months of inactivity. The service summarizes the various topics discussed on the mailing lists, and issues new summaries about twice a month. The main focus is on the foundation-l mailing list, but Phoebe also added a summary for the WikiEN-l mailing list as well.
Wikibooks logo vote ongoing
A vote on a new logo for Wikibooks is ongoing on the Meta-Wiki. As of press time, the most popular choice is Logo B, with 67 votes, followed by E with 47 votes, and H with 41 votes. The vote ends on December 1, and following the vote, discussion will focus on minor changes to the selected logo, including colors and branding.
- This week, eight projects enabled the MediaWiki extension FlaggedRevs, which allows for the selection of "reviewed" pages as the default revision viewed by users who are not logged in. Most notable among these projects is the Polish Wikipedia and the Classical Chinese Wikipedia.
- Wikimedia Commons has reached 3,500,000 media files.
- The Finnish Wiktionary has reached 100,000 entries.
- The Welsh Wikipedia has reached 20,000 articles.
- The Silesian Wikipedia has reached 1,000 articles.
- The Manx Wikipedia has reached 2,000 articles.
- The Javanese Wikipedia has reached 15,000 articles.
- The Korean Wikipedia has reached 80,000 articles.
|Also this week:
|(← Previous News and notes)||Signpost archives||(Next News and notes→)|