Next issue: September 3, 2014
Submission deadline: 3 days' time! Publication scheduled for late Wednesday.
Once all tasks are complete, editor-in-chief The ed17 (or nominated deputy) will complete the publication process.
Notices for contributors and interested editors
- Thursday–Sunday: start. Start all pages that are to be included in the next edition, either on-wiki or in Google Docs. Please note that "News and notes", "In the media", and the "Arbitration report" are typically drafted in the latter, but suggestions for them are always welcome through our suggestions page.
- Monday: draft. A rough outline of topics to be covered should be in place by the middle of Monday, so that if a regular reporter is unavailable, the editor can find a replacement for that week.
- Tuesday, early Wednesday: mature versions. Aim to have reasonably mature drafts of all pages for comments by the managing editors, fellow journalists, and other interested editors. Signpost editors recommend any structural changes, reductions in length, expansions in scope, necessary coordination between pages, postponement to subsequent issue.
- Wednesday: finish! Last-minute tweaks and copy-editors go through the drafts; publication in the evening.
- Everyone interested in Signpost matters is invited to join the IRC channel at #wikisignpost connect.
- Those wishing to submit an irregular article, such as (but certainly not limited to) interviews and op-eds, should email the editor-in-chief at least one week prior to your desired publishing date.
I will be publishing at some point tomorrow, UTC, most likely without news and notes—I'm moving across the country on Monday, so I don't have the time to do it. For the same reason, Jarry1250 will be publishing next week's edition. There may or may not be a news and notes; I honestly have no idea how much time I will have. Please contact me if you're interested in helping out with that section! Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 18:51, 16 August 2014 (UTC)
- This is most unsatisfactory. It's all looking like a headless chicken. Tony (talk) 03:02, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
- @Tony1: Not sure how to reply here. I'm not Superman, and I'm about to drive over a thousand miles and move all of my possessions (well, the ones that will fit in my car) into a new place. My Wikipedia and Signpost time is decidedly limited, and it's not like there are people lining up to contribute. Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 04:11, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
- @The ed17:, the way to respond is to tell @Tony1: thanks and his deadline for News and Notes is ASAP.--Milowent • hasspoken 05:21, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
- I'm on strike, if that hadn't been noticed. Tony (talk) 06:12, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
And I'm off! I'll check in at random wi-fi spots along the drive, but I won't be editing much or replying to many emails. Thanks, Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 15:33, 18 August 2014 (UTC)
- I'm no longer on the road thanks to a car accident. While I'm (surprisingly) unhurt, the car is completely totaled, so I'm going to be consumed by real life issues over the next weeks, possibly more. For example, I'll be deciding how I want to traverse over 800 miles with a carload of clothes and furniture but no car and not a lot of extra money.
- What this means for the Signpost is that at a minimum, I won't be able to do anything for the next couple editions. While I've asked Jarry1250 to step in as the temporary editor, I'm not sure yet if he will be able to thanks to his own time constraints. In the meantime, please pitch in where you can, as I can't guarantee anything right now.
- Pinging Pine, Adam Cuerden, Jayen466, Gamaliel, Serendipodous, J Milburn, Mabeenot, Go Phightins!, Hahc21, The Herald, Edokter, Milowent. Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 05:43, 19 August 2014 (UTC)
- The ed17, Jarry1250, Adam Cuerden, Jayen466, Gamaliel, Serendipodous, J Milburn, Mabeenot, Go Phightins!, Hahc21, The Herald, Edokter, Milowent I've published for this week. Please help out next week with the assumption that Ed will still be away. --Pine✉ 20:19, 23 August 2014 (UTC)
- @Pine: I wish you hadn't. I was trying desperately to get a Mahan image finished, for the report on it. 23:05, 23 August 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry. After Wednesday, unless someone notes a reason not to publish, I think it's reasonable to publish when things appear to be in good order. --Pine✉ 08:10, 24 August 2014 (UTC)
- Adam, you've got to note those sorts of things here in the newsroom! :-) Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 14:53, 24 August 2014 (UTC)
- People never do my work for me. I didn't think it'd suddenly get finished up while I wasn't looking. =) Adam Cuerden (talk) 15:49, 24 August 2014 (UTC)
I've made a start on the Featured content page, although I will need someone to help with finishing off the images info Adam Cuerden or Crisco 1492, are you able to sort that part? Feel free to re-do any of the rest of the stuff I've done. Cheers - SchroCat (talk) 12:09, 26 August 2014 (UTC)
- I've documented all of them; will try to help once I recover a bit more. There's reasons I've been slow for a bit =) Adam Cuerden (talk) 21:01, 26 August 2014 (UTC)
- No probs - hope you feel better soon. I've had a stab at the blurbs, but feel free to tweak, chop, change, or utterly re-write if you prefer - there's probably some insider knowledge from FP that may be worth adding - SchroCat (talk) 09:42, 27 August 2014 (UTC)
- If nobody has any objections, I'd like to offer to take over Featured Content from next week, to ease the workload on you regulars. Rcsprinter123 (warn) @ 20:40, 28 August 2014 (UTC)
- Hey Rcsprinter, while I can't speak for Adam, if you're able to do the FAs and FLs, Adam will [normally] take care of the FPs, as that's his normal area of operations!). I'm hoping that an arrangement like this will keep everyone's workload at an easily manageable level! Best, Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 21:08, 28 August 2014 (UTC)
@Jarry1250: I may be able to have a short ITM ready tomorrow, but it will be all me since Jayen466 is swamped, so you or somebody else will have to look over it since nobody else's eyes have been on it yet. Gamaliel (talk) 23:41, 26 August 2014 (UTC)
- Looks like publication will be Saturday UTC (could even be Sunday) – this depends on unfolding external news-related events. Tony (talk) 04:10, 28 August 2014 (UTC)
Hey all, I'll be able to publish this week at some point late today (UTC). Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 01:33, 31 August 2014 (UTC)
Ideas for Signpost features can be pitched and discussed by any interested parties here
The following proposals have been greenlit and are considered in active development
Adam Cuerden, how is this coming along? Can I help at all? Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 04:11, 14 July 2014 (UTC)
- Ach. I need to write up the questions; think it'll be ready in time. Sorry, this weekend went absolutely crazy. Adam Cuerden (talk) 02:17, 16 July 2014 (UTC)
- @Adam Cuerden: No worries, Adam. Please let me know if we'll need to delay it to next week; that won't be a problem! Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 18:09, 17 July 2014 (UTC)
- Depends when we publish. I think I can get it for Saturday, but have been doing a lot of work proofreading for a friend. Adam Cuerden (talk) 22:10, 17 July 2014 (UTC)
- Hey Adam Cuerden, I missed this here. I'm hoping to publish in about 4.5 hours, so is it alright if we delay it until next week? I know how tedious and long proofreading for friends can be. :-) Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 12:34, 18 July 2014 (UTC)
- I took the liberty of publishing and pushing this back. I hope that's alright! Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 18:55, 18 July 2014 (UTC)
- I think I'm going to have to get him at 150 or 200 - that will happen. I just can't get this soted. =/
Let me know what you're planning with this, Adam. Looking at it now, it'll have to be an op-ed. :-) Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 02:33, 26 July 2014 (UTC)
- It's very hard to finish these kind of things when, during th e month ou're particularly busy, you still have to try and get out FC reports, which I think is one of the most labour-intensive Signpost project. Adam Cuerden (talk) 03:05, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
- No worries, Adam. Same situation here. Ed [talk] [majestic titan] 04:11, 17 August 2014 (UTC)
- User:Adam Cuerden/Sandbox/Media Viewer