Wikipedia talk:Create a new language in Wikipedia
This page could use a better title - when I saw it I honestly thought that it must be someone's crackpot page on how to literally create a new language, not to start a new wikipedia... KJ 11:17 Nov 22, 2002 (UTC)
How about "Create a Wikipedia in a new language"? -phma .This should be moved to Meta since it would be useful to English speaking non en.wiki Wikipedians. They won't see it if it is only here. I will move it later and set-up in inter-wiki redirect. --mav
If it was in Meta, less people would find, IMHO. Are we ever going to have Wikipedia: Piglatin? --Zanimum
Wikipedia in Nahuatl
This exists. See http://nah.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal%C4%ABxatl
Request history (incomplete)
Moved from Wikipedia:Village pump
I am from Wikipedia in Spanish. I contacted somebody called Citlalin Xochime' from a web Nahuatl-speaking a few days ago and told him about Wikipedia. This is whta he answered me to the suggestion of beginning a wikiversion in Nahuatl (a native American language with more than 1 million speakers):
- Niltze! (Hello!) Papalotochtzin (Dear Rabbit Butterfly),
- Tlazohkamati (Thank-You) for your email message! I am somewhat familar with the wiki-system and wikipedia sounds like something that stirs my interest. I won't have time to start the Nahuatl wiki-project until September at the earliest. Yet, I may pass along this valuable information to the NAHUAT-LIST :
- I agree, more Nahuatl speaking people will be attracted to the project, once established. I don't know if you got my email address from my Nahuatl Tlahtolkalli project, but I will surely pass along the information to the people at the Nahuatl Tlahtolkalli as well. My project is located at:
- So, once again, I am very interested, and I will pursue this project as time permits. Tlazohkamati for contacting me. (...)
- I look forward to sharing Nahuatl with you!
- Citlalin Xochime' (from, Nahuatl Citlalxochimeh = star flowers)
- Nahuatl Tlahtolkalli
I haven't heard of him/her since but he or other Nahuatl-speaking people may try to contact you. I will not be on Wikipedia for an indetermined period but I mentioned a cople of basics about the system as well as Youssefsan and Brion. I'd really like seeing a Wikiwikinahuatl around! -- Piolinfax 19:17 28 Jul 2003 (UTC)
Can be created a new an.wikipedia.org (Aragonese)? This type of projects can make alive the endangered languages.
- Wikipedia:Create a new language in Wikipedia details some of what must be done in order to create a new language Wikipedia. It would probably be a lot of work, so it'd be best if you can find other people that know the language also. Good luck! -- Wapcaplet 21:14, 7 Sep 2003 (UTC)
I <3 Piglet!!!!!!!! xoxoxo Jess xoxoxo
ok, am i the only one that likes the idea of a simple english wikipedia, and thinks it should be expanded upon? as in, the creation of a simple french wikipedia, simple italian wikipedia, simple greek wikipedia, etc? not only would this make wikipedia a nice tool for language learners, but it would make it usable by children or illiterates. (shouting at the top of my voice here) perhaps a perl script could even be written that would replace complex words with simple ones, in accordance with some online thesaurus, thus rendering this an easy task? (any errors made by the script would be edited out eventually) --Protasis
- Quite a few people seem to like the idea of a Simple English Wikipedia judging from the fact it now has nearly 1000 articles. One problem with it is defining what is meant by "simple" English (or any other language). Currently, there is no agreement on this, so the project is somewhat directionless. There's no reason simple versions of other languages couldn't be set up, but judging from the simple English one, I'm not sure how successful they would be. I suggest that if you do want to start another one, you have some clear goals in mind first, such as deciding on a particular reading level, or a way of structuring the site to handle different levels of simplicity. The intl-L mailing list would be a good place to bring this up. Angela 23:15, 1 Dec 2003 (UTC)
Question I have
Would it be possible to do wikipedias in odd, artificial, English "dialects" such as Pig Latin Elmer Fudd (i.e. Wun to duh wed woad) or perhaps others such as Jive and even Swedish Chef or possibly even, if we want to take it far, Punk (Dah instead of the, izzle at the end of some words) note that I believe Google is viewable in all of these except punk. There are numerous "dialecticizers" that would translate into Jive, Swedish Chef, and punk, and of course the first two are easy and unobjectable without the dialectizier. Smartyshoe 00:56, 28 February 2006 (UTC) Edit: A dialectizer is avialable at [rinkworks.com/dialect] for all mentioned except pig latin as well as others.
- Edit: Here is the "punk" version of Wikipedia (note that there is some bad language but we don't have to include that) Clicky
- See Gizoogle to turn any website into punk.
New Language Wikipedias
(Posting this here as well as several other places—none of us have heard a response in many months.)
- Is there a way we can get some developers to look at Approved requests for new languages? About a dozen languages have been approved for creation, and the Norman test-Wiki has well over 100 articles already (more than nearly half of our "real" Wikipedias). No new wikipedias have been created in quite some time, however. The Jade Knight 09:17, 20 March 2006 (UTC)
HELP! I want to start a new language. Please help me. Thank you.
I have a new language that i made up to prevent teachers from knowing about my gossip! its '''''so'''''''''
kewl!!! Top Award for Mehdi Saeedi Winners of the 2007 Colorado International Invitational Poster Exhibition (CIIPE) I am a fan
There are 161 posters in this biennial from 87 graphic masters from 31 countries. The biennial was opened on 14 September and will continue through 19 October, 2007. The winners were all chosen by one juror, Fang Chen (formerly of China and now of the US ) who served as the exhibitions honor laureate.The awards are simply honors and do not come with a physical prize.
Mehdi Saeedi - Iran Holger Matthies - Germany Lanny Sommese - United States
2007 Honorable Mentions:
Vladimir Chaika - Russia Miroslaw Adamczyk - Poland Cedomir Kostovic - USA Luba Lukova - USA Aleksandra Knezevic - Bosnia Herzogovina Bae Sung-ik - South Korea Lex Drewinski - Germany Finn Nygaard - Denmark
I would like to start a wikipedia page with my language "jenudle" I have been working on it feverishly and think I could do a good job with it. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 02:43, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
I would like to start a wikipedia page with my language 'SOURASHTRAM' also known as 'Saurashtram' Sourashtram has got its own script. The first book in Sourashtram is printed in 1880. Now a website http://www.palkarblogs.com is available to practice writing in Sourashtram. An Electronic Journal 'VISHWA SOURASHTRAM' is being started. Since this language is not taught in Schools, many are ignorant of writing their language. Now attempst are made to make it a written language. It is a literary language. Many books are available in Sourashtram. Translation of Sanskrit 'Bhagavath Gita' into Sourashtram is available. Similarly translation of Tamil 'Tirukkural' into Sourashtram is available. These literatures are to be highlighted in the proposed wikipedia for Sourashtra Language. Please visit my blog http://subramanian-blogspot.com to know something about Sourashtra Community activities. [User name: Subramanian Obula E-mail <email@example.com> —Preceding unsigned comment added by Subramanian Obula (talk • contribs) 19:04, 6 June 2009 (UTC)
I think that they should make a pig latin page. I am very fluent, and could make it very easily!
Iay inkthay atthay eythay ouldshay akemay ay igpay atinlay agepay. Iay may eryvay uentflay, anday ouldcay akemay tiay eryvay easilyway!