Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Alaska
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the WikiProject Alaska page.|
|Archives: 1, 2|
|WikiProject Alaska||(Rated Project-class)|
Greetings from GLAM-Wiki US
|Invitation to join GLAM-Wiki US|
Hello! This WikiProject aligns closely with the work of the GLAM-Wiki initiative (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums), a global community of volunteers who assist cultural institutions with sharing resources with Wikimedia. GLAM-Wiki US is a new community initiative focused on organizing cultural collaborations within the United States. GLAM organizations are diverse and span numerous topics, from libraries and art museums to science centers and historic sites. We currently have a backlog of interested institutions- and we need your help!
Are you interested in helping with current or future GLAM projects? Join→ Online Volunteers
CfD on Category:Rivers of the Boundary Ranges etc
- Category:Rivers of the Boundary Ranges
- Category:Rivers of the Canadian Rockies
- Category:Rivers of the Omineca Mountains
- Category:Rivers of the Pacific Ranges
- Category:Rivers of the Kitimat Ranges
- and various others by-region
Alaska Marine Highway
- I had a go this morning about re-working the history section for Alaska Marine Highway page. I've gotten a framework up to the building of Kennicott, still have the Fast Ferries, the Lytuya, Alaska Class ferries, and probably the Inner-Island ferry authority to go. It will probably be a while before I have time to get back to this, if someone else has time to check my work, and perhaps add sources that don't rely so heavily on SitNews, I would appreciate it. Cheers! Name Omitted (talk) 02:55, 23 November 2014 (UTC)
Splitting Russian colonization of the Americas
I've been expanding or creating articles related to the Russian period in Alaska. There was a (single and brief) discussion previously about splitting the content of the Russian colonization of the Americas article into related pages. I really feel this would improve the academic knowledge of relevant WikiProject Alaska pages as it would condense a lot of copied information while more clearly delineating the Russian articles. The material on California is already covered by the Fort Ross page or could easily be merged into it. This is true of all of the content in fact, as much is already found on the Russian-American Company or Russian America articles. The section of exploration warrants a new page, perhaps Russian exploration of the Pacific Northwest, modeled after Spanish exploration of the Pacific Northwest. I have access to enough material to get such a page beyond stub status. I'd appreciate some input on this, though if there is none I will begin the split within two months. Voltaire's Vaquero (talk) 22:08, 1 December 2014 (UTC)
- I concur. As it stands, it would appear that the only Russians who were in Alaska was the RAC. There is very little on the exploration beforehand, or the non RAC exploration concurrent with the operation of the RAC. I think the article needs to go into much greater depth as to how much the Russians relied on the Alaska Natives for manpower and as trading partners. The nature of the Russian colonization was substantially different from that of the English, Dutch or Spanish, as there were so few Russians in America at any given point in time. It might take me awhile to track down my sources, I've recently moved and my library is not unpacked. I think you are on the right track, however. Name Omitted (talk) 06:54, 2 December 2014 (UTC)
- I've started a stub for exploration, will begin to expand it over the following week or two. As it stands the Russian America article covers the pre-RAC era. As the infobox confusing states that Russian America only began with the Ukase of 1799, perhaps most of this content should be moved over to the exploration article. In turn, the majority of the Russian Colonization article can be moved into the Russian American page. Would this make sense though? The Exploration article covers the continued Russians discoveries of (mostly) Alaska along with promyshlenniki and companies in Alaska prior to the formation of the Russian-American Company. The Russian America article covers the "main" tenure of Russia from 1799 to 1867. Voltaire's Vaquero (talk) 10:02, 7 December 2014 (UTC)
My name is Warren W. Taylor, born in Cordova ,Alaska January 13, 1926. Family of Warren A. Taylor long time representative of the State Legislature. Moved with my family to Kodiak, Alaska in 1939 where my father practiced law. I started my freshman year in Kodiak, and graduated in 1943. Join ed the United States Navy in 1944. My legal education returned me to Alaska where I practiced law for a while with my father, then accepted the position of District Attorney for the fourth Judicial Division at Fairbanks. Two years later I enter local politics when the North Star Borough was formed and was elected to a position on the first borough council. Two years later I was appointed to fill a vacancy on the local Superior Court hence where I served thereafter for 20 years. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 04:46, 10 December 2014 (UTC)
Northern Lights Tourism
I found an NYT article about Japanese people going to Alaska for the Northern Lights:
- Garrett, Jerry. "The Cold Show in Fairbanks, Alaska." The New York Times. March 2, 2007. p. F1 (New York Edition). print headline: "The Cold Show."
WikiProject X is live!
You may have received a message from me earlier asking you to comment on my WikiProject X proposal. The good news is that WikiProject X is now live! In our first phase, we are focusing on research. At this time, we are looking for people to share their experiences with WikiProjects: good, bad, or neutral. We are also looking for WikiProjects that may be interested in trying out new tools and layouts that will make participating easier and projects easier to maintain. If you or your WikiProject are interested, check us out! Note that this is an opt-in program; no WikiProject will be required to change anything against its wishes. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Note: To receive additional notifications about WikiProject X on this talk page, please add this page to Wikipedia:WikiProject X/Newsletter. Otherwise, this will be the last notification sent about WikiProject X.