Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Americas
|This is a WikiProject, an area for focused collaboration among Wikipedians.
Several Americas templates up for deletion
see Wikipedia:Templates_for_discussion/Log/2013_August_31 for the nominations -- 220.127.116.11 (talk) 00:52, 1 September 2013 (UTC)
You are invited to participate in Wiki Loves Pride 2014, a campaign to create and improve LGBT-related content at Wikipedia and its sister projects. The campaign will take place throughout the month of June, culminating with a multinational edit-a-thon on June 21. Meetups are being held in some cities, or you can participate remotely. All constructive edits are welcome in order to contribute to Wikipedia's mission of providing quality, accurate information. Articles within Category:LGBT in the Americas may be of particular interest. You can also upload LGBT-related images by participating in Wikimedia Commons' LGBT-related photo challenge. You are encouraged to share the results of your work here. Happy editing! --Another Believer (Talk) 20:49, 5 June 2014 (UTC)
Comment on the WikiProject X proposal
Hello there! As you may already know, most WikiProjects here on Wikipedia struggle to stay active after they've been founded. I believe there is a lot of potential for WikiProjects to facilitate collaboration across subject areas, so I have submitted a grant proposal with the Wikimedia Foundation for the "WikiProject X" project. WikiProject X will study what makes WikiProjects succeed in retaining editors and then design a prototype WikiProject system that will recruit contributors to WikiProjects and help them run effectively. Please review the proposal here and leave feedback. If you have any questions, you can ask on the proposal page or leave a message on my talk page. Thank you for your time! (Also, sorry about the posting mistake earlier. If someone already moved my message to the talk page, feel free to remove this posting.) Harej (talk) 22:47, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
United States R US
FYI: This is a copy of a thread that I started at: Wikipedia:WikiProject United States.
I'm proposing the above as preferred terms of reference as a friend from the UK and based on the following:
- Enemies of the United States typically refer to the nation as America.
- The United States only constitutes one of many countries in the Americas and only about one third of the total population.
- Amerigo Vespucci was and explorer of South America and the West Indies.
- Hawaii is arguably better defined as constituting a part of the United States rather than as representing a part of America.
- The primary reference to the country and is the United States. This is fairly well represented through many of the categories and articles connected to Category:Government in the United States and I would personally propose that this reference may be beneficially applied in other topics as per support from WP:UCRN.
- The term "United States" conveys a message of unity in specific ownership of a single nation while 50 countries across two continents share the roots of "American" terminologies.