Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Maps
|WikiProject Geographical coordinates|
|WikiProject Maps was featured in a WikiProject Report in the Signpost on 30 April 2012. If you wish to get involved with the Signpost, please visit the Newsroom.|
|To-do list for Wikipedia:WikiProject Maps:|
|Threads older than 3 months may be archived by.|
- Related WikiProjects
The parent of this WikiProject is the Geography WikiProject. WikiProject Maps also is a management type WikiProject for pictorial representations displayed within Wikipedia. The following illustrates the position of WikiProject Maps within the Wikipedia WikiProject lineage:
- 1 Request for a map of the course for the 34th America's Cup
- 2 Images for deletion
- 3 Map problem
- 4 WMF grant request for Wikimaps system
- 5 ShareMap - Wikimedia grant - community feedback needed
- 6 Wikimaps, the article
- 7 Great Trigonometrical Survey of India Comment
- 8 Best format for maps from OpenStreetMap, is it SVG?
- 9 Which GNIS code should we use?
Request for a map of the course for the 34th America's Cup
The 34th America's Cup is currently underway in San Francisco. A map of the course would greatly add to the article. I have no skill in making a map, and not a great deal of time to devote to learning. It is likely that the Cup will finish in the next few days, and when it does, it is highly likely that it will make an appearance on the Main Page's In The News Section. If someone from this project could whip something up, it would be greatly appreciated!
The course can be seen here: http://www.americascup.com/en/about/racecourse . Clearly I can't just grab that picture, and I feel a simpler map would be better for the article.
Images for deletion
- image:Nova 104 Coverage Map.jpg has been nominated for deletion -- 18.104.22.168 (talk) 08:11, 17 September 2013 (UTC)
- image:Map of Wades Causeway Location Within North York Moors National Park.png has been nominated for deletion -- 22.214.171.124 (talk) 04:16, 22 September 2013 (UTC)
- image:Drake's Cove, Drakes Bay, California, 1579.JPG has been nominated for deletion -- 126.96.36.199 (talk) 06:06, 2 October 2013 (UTC)
Talks about these deletions
- I think it's because all the images that are maps got tagged with wikiproject maps - which seems reasonable in some respects, they are of some interest to teh wikiproject, but I don't think we care most of the time if something specific gets deleted. I'm not sure why we keep being informed about files being nominated for deletion though, if teh importance of the file is low/none I doubt we care. But I suppose whatever bot/person is letting us know about teh deletions can't know whether it's actually anything significant as far as the wikiproject is concerned. EdwardLane (talk) 21:11, 3 October 2013 (UTC)
WMF grant request for Wikimaps system
Hello all, I just announced a grant request on the Map workshop talk page. Please take a look, and support us. We are competing with other great projects as well. Details and talks there : Wikimaps Atlas: generating thousands base maps. Yug (talk) 11:42, 19 October 2013 (UTC)
Hello member of WikiProject Maps ShareMap is a collaborative map creation tool. It is currently applying for Wikimedia grant to continue project development.
There is aleready dozens of maps created with ShareMap, you can see them all on Commons category page
I will be very happy for endorsement, opinions or even criticism from all community members on Wikimedia grant project.
If you would like to learn more about ShareMap project please visit:
- Note: Both the Wikimaps and Sharemaps grant requests are coordinated. Wikimaps are for short term, stand alone maps, which perfectly fit in current wikipedia cartographers' practices. Sharemap is actually a long term, but more powerful cloud approach, which is the future of in-wikipedia map making. Both initiatives may also eventually merge, thus recycling hundreds high quality SVG maps. Most importantly for now, both initiative need your support. Yug (talk) 02:39, 20 October 2013 (UTC)
- Well, seems like this article will get deleted quickly ! (not famous enough yet) Yug (talk) 20:54, 22 October 2013 (UTC)
Great Trigonometrical Survey of India Comment
Best format for maps from OpenStreetMap, is it SVG?
Would it be better if a map used in Wikipedia which is from OpenStreetMap is in SVG format? it seems obviously yes to me as you can get to an infinitely zoomable map in two clicks or have I missed something? Alex Sims (talk) 09:45, 6 December 2013 (UTC)
Which GNIS code should we use?
(Full details at Talk:Buena Park, California)
There are two different GNIS codes and altitudes for the city of Buena Park, CA:
https://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/ (type 2409932 into the Feature ID box)
Feature Name: City of Buena Park
https://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/ (type 1652676 into the Feature ID box)
Feature Name: Buena Park
Class: Populated Place
So, which should we use? --Guy Macon (talk) 17:16, 7 December 2013 (UTC)