Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Maps
|WikiProject Geographical coordinates|
|WikiProject Maps was featured in a WikiProject Report in the Signpost on 30 April 2012. If you wish to get involved with the Signpost, please visit the Newsroom.|
|To-do list for Wikipedia:WikiProject Maps:|
|Threads older than 3 months may be archived by.|
- Related WikiProjects
The parent of this WikiProject is the Geography WikiProject. WikiProject Maps also is a management type WikiProject for pictorial representations displayed within Wikipedia. The following illustrates the position of WikiProject Maps within the Wikipedia WikiProject lineage:
Leaflet For Wikiproject Maps At Wikimania 2014(updated)
Please note: This is an updated version of a previous post that I made.
My name is Adi Khajuria and I am helping out with Wikimania 2014 in London.
One of our initiatives is to create leaflets to increase the discoverability of various wikimedia projects, and showcase the breadth of activity within wikimedia. Any kind of project can have a physical paper leaflet designed - for free - as a tool to help recruit new contributors. These leaflets will be printed at Wikimania 2014, and the designs can be re-used in the future at other events and locations.
This is particularly aimed at highlighting less discoverable but successful projects, e.g:
• Active Wikiprojects: Wikiproject Medicine, WikiProject Video Games, Wikiproject Film
• Tech projects/Tools, which may be looking for either users or developers.
• Less known major projects: Wikinews, Wikidata, Wikivoyage, etc.
• Wiki Loves Parliaments, Wiki Loves Monuments, Wiki Loves ____
• Wikimedia thematic organisations, Wikiwomen’s Collaborative, The Signpost
The deadline for submissions is 1st July 2014
For more information or to sign up for one for your project, go to:
Adikhajuria (talk) 11:21, 25 June 2014 (UTC)
high priority re current event; Mount Polley mine disaster
I just added mapreq to the talkpage of the article, but wanted to place a heads-up here; the article, like the disaster, is only a few days old, and a map would go along ways towards enriching the article, which given it's the largest such disaster in Canadian history and there's lots of coverage, could be an FA candidate.Skookum1 (talk) 02:56, 10 August 2014 (UTC)
Map convention update to come
As some map making practices have evolve a lot since the last revamp of the map conventions in 2011(?), I plan to make a revamp soon. Several key issues are to bring in :
- the change brought by the Toolbox_SVG_locator_maps-en.svg (shown at the right)
- the Wikimaps Atlas Project, which copy the WP convention but radically change map making practices, SVG code output, and enlarge possible usages. This project also require map guidelines to be more aligned.
- some orther minor push are also to report.
Appalachian geospatial data question
This map is really bugging me because it's not accurate and appears to have been brushed over haphazardly. I mean there's a whole administrative region in Quebec named after the Appalachians, but the current map barely touches the province, so I was wondering where I could find actual official map data for the Appalachians which I could use in Photoshop, Inkscape, or other software to draw a more accurate map. My problems are:
- Does such data exist? I am under the impression that there are vastly different meanings to the word "The Appalachians" depending on the discipline. Other than geological and other such data, does a pure geographic definition of the Appalachian Mountains exist?
- I have been googling this, and have found such things as:
- Something from the EPA's ArcGIS that I don't quite understand how to navigate?
- XML files from the USGS that I also don't understand, but I think are about water drainage and not geospatial data
- This NationalAtlas.gov map from which I don't think it's possible to extract data and it's about the Appalachian Highlands rather than the Appalachian Mountains, so the boundaries are larger
- If a data set does exist, what program(s) would be the most useful in achieving my goal?
Conventions for visa policy maps
Hello, WP:MAPS. I am currently working on the visa policy of Nauru, and I was wondering if there was any conventions on the colors would be? It seems like the other visa policy articles have a lot of different colors, and I just wanted to be correct. Thanks in advance.