Wikipedia talk:WikiProject South Africa
|This is the talk page for discussing WikiProject South Africa and anything related to its purposes and tasks.|
|Archives: 1, 2, 3, 4|
|WikiProject South Africa||(Rated Project-class)|
|This WikiProject's subject is featured in the Outline of South Africa, which is incomplete and needs further development. That page, along with the other outlines on Wikipedia, comprise Wikipedia's Outline of knowledge, which also serves as the table of contents or site map of Wikipedia.|
|WikiProject South Africa was featured in a WikiProject Report in the Signpost on 15 April 2013. If you wish to get involved with the Signpost, please visit the Newsroom.|
|Threads older than 120 days may be archived by.|
- 1 Wikipedia in local news
- 2 Maritz Rebellion
- 3 New draft article needs help
- 4 Comment on the WikiProject X proposal
- 5 Wikimedia South Africa Annual General Meeting
- 6 Update on Wikimedia South Africa Annual General Meeting
- 7 Category:Establishments in South Africa by year
- 8 Expert attention
- 9 Wiki Loves Monuments Award Ceremony
- 10 Dennis East
- 11 Wikimedia ZA Annual Report
- 12 Oudtshoorn
- 13 Trade Unions
- 14 Wikipedia Primary School: first Calls for Articles!
- 15 2014 Synagogue Church building collapse
- 16 Youth in South Africa article
- 17 Wiki Loves Africa Competition
- 18 South African Arms Deal
- 19 First Thursdays
- 20 Dictionary of SA Place Names
- 21 Wikipedia Primary School: first call for Community Reviews
- 22 Just Done Productions Publishing
- 23 7th Cape Town Meetup
- 24 WikiProject X is live!
Wikipedia in local news
- Roets, Euodia (18 October 2013). "How Woolworths really operates!". Touchee Feelee. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
New draft article needs help
I have started drafting Draft:Disability in South Africa, some help to expand and improve it would really be appreciated. In particular the section on demographics could use some expert input - a report on disability was published recently by StatsSA,. Unfortunately I am not good at exctracting and summarizing the essential elements of such reports, my ability to parse socioeconomic statistics is rather limited. Some of the other sections also need to be expanded before the draft will be ready for mainspace. The article structure is modeled on similar articles such as Disability in Australia and Disability in Sierra Leone. -- Roger (Dodger67) (talk) 12:56, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
- I really need some help with the demographics/statistics, please. Roger (Dodger67) (talk) 11:03, 6 October 2014 (UTC)
- I would volenteer myself but I am a bit snowed under these days with work and I suspect my ability with the stats might not be much better than anyone else's. Although I might be able to give it a go after the 1st November. In the mean time I would suggest asking Htonl, he is a wizz at that sort of stuff.--Discott (talk) 14:44, 14 October 2014 (UTC)
Comment on the WikiProject X proposal
Hello there! As you may already know, most WikiProjects here on Wikipedia struggle to stay active after they've been founded. I believe there is a lot of potential for WikiProjects to facilitate collaboration across subject areas, so I have submitted a grant proposal with the Wikimedia Foundation for the "WikiProject X" project. WikiProject X will study what makes WikiProjects succeed in retaining editors and then design a prototype WikiProject system that will recruit contributors to WikiProjects and help them run effectively. Please review the proposal here and leave feedback. If you have any questions, you can ask on the proposal page or leave a message on my talk page. Thank you for your time! (Also, sorry about the posting mistake earlier. If someone already moved my message to the talk page, feel free to remove this posting.) Harej (talk) 22:48, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
Wikimedia South Africa Annual General Meeting
Dear Wikipedian / Wikimedian,
Notice is hereby given in terms of the Articles of Association of Wikimedia ZA NPC, that the Annual General Meeting of the Chapter will take place on Saturday, 1 November 2014.
The AGM will be followed by the Annual Wiki Loves Monuments award ceremony.
Further details of the event will follow in due course, but please do diarise the date.
Update on Wikimedia South Africa Annual General Meeting
This is to inform all interested parties that the Wikimedia ZA annual general meeting will be held on the 1st November 2014.
Location: Cape Town (you may join us over Google Hangout; if you are going to join us digitally then please let me know so I can send you and invitation)
Time: 11:30am to 3:30pm
Date: Saturday, 1st November 2014
We will inform everyone closer to the time on the exact location within Cape Town of the AGM. We are currently looking at two possible locations.
- Hi everyone, I just want to update everyone that the AGM will be taking place on the first floor of the Truth Coffee Building at 36 Bree Street. More information about the event can be found here.--Discott (talk) 14:32, 22 October 2014 (UTC)
South Africa did not exist as a country before 1910. Should the older categories in Category:Establishments in South Africa by year be merged with categories such as Category:Establishments in the Cape Colony by year? HelenOnline 06:27, 13 October 2014 (UTC)
This is a notice about Category:South Africa articles needing expert attention, which might be of interest to your WikiProject. It will take a while before the category is populated. Iceblock (talk) 02:04, 14 October 2014 (UTC)
Wiki Loves Monuments Award Ceremony
We have pleasure in inviting you to the 3rd Wiki Loves Monuments South Africa Award Ceremony, an event where winners of this year’s South African component of the largest photographic competition in the world, will be awarded their prizes.
The best photographs submitted from South Africa and around the world will be on display.
Please join us on Saturday, 1 November 2014 at 18:00 at the Slave Church 40 Long Street, Cape Town.
Refreshments will be served at this semi-formal occasion.
Please feel free to forward this invitation on to anyone who you feel might be interested in attending, and you are welcome to bring along a partner.
For more information or to RSVP please email The Administrator
Wikimedia ZA Annual Report
A copy of our Annual Report is now available online
- I added a lot, but there's still quite a bit missing, for example on Oudtshoorn's importance to trade, and especially with regard to pre-settlement history. Please, feel free to add to it.
- I'd also appreciate it if someone could do some copy editing. A fresh pair of eyes would be of much help. I'm aware the article is not as encyclopaedic in tone as it could be. Willhesucceed (talk) 18:20, 29 October 2014 (UTC)
Hi all, I am attempting to work on the pages for the different page unions since when looking up information on the unions due to their recent appearance in the news, I found them pretty much all to be stubs or extremely outdated and unsourced. This is a massive job. I would like someone to go through the Congress of South African Trade Unions page and the Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa page in which I have started making edits to see how they can be improved as I am sure my edits are nowhere near to the standard that they could be or should be. Any help and advice with regards to these articles would be much appreciated. --DSBennie (talk) 14:48, 10 November 2014 (UTC)
Wikipedia Primary School: first Calls for Articles!
Hi everybody, I'm quite excited to announce the first two articles selected to kick-start the content phase of the Wikipedia Primary School project! This research project focuses on the South Africa primary school curriculum: the involved teams have selected a list of 100+ relevant articles which will undergo review (or creation) by Wikipedians, scholars/experts, or journals. We thought that involving the Wikipedia community was the obvious first step in the process, which is going to last for the next couple of years. So the articles we'd like to suggest for creation are:
The article is a truly pathetic little stub sourced only from Nigerian media. As it has had such a large social and political impact in SA I think this project should give the page some attention. Roger (Dodger67) (talk) 22:11, 18 November 2014 (UTC)
Good day Dodger67, I will assist in improving the article but unfortunately there is little information on this topic as the investigation has not yet been completed. --DSBennie (talk) 15:24, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
- There's the whole diplomatic to-and-fro about Nigeria's slowness in identifying and releasing the bodies of the SA casualties - that has played out in the press for weeks. The church's PR people have put out a lot of material and many sources have responded to it too. The official investigation is only one aspect of the story. (Unfortunately my time here is very limited currently, but please feel free to jump right in, don't wait for me.) Roger (Dodger67) (talk) 19:36, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
- I could not agree more, this is a very important even and it is very poorly covered here. Even if there is little avalable sources on what actually happened there is, in South Africa at least, a wealth of sources that can be used to cover the diplomatic impact of this event.--Discott (talk) 09:03, 10 December 2014 (UTC)
Youth in South Africa article
- I've done some categorization. Roger (Dodger67) (talk) 19:50, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
- The article is missing a section on politics. Youth have played a major role in SA politics over a very long period - many political organisations (particularly on the left of the spectrum) tend to have strong youth wings. Example: the 1976 Soweto uprising was initiated by high school students. Roger (Dodger67) (talk) 20:06, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
Wiki Loves Africa Competition
The Wiki Loves Africa Photo Competition comes to an end on 30 November 2014.
On 28 November there will be a Cook-Off where 4 chefs representing Cape Town's diverse culinary traditions will be on display. Of course there will be tasting as well.
We are inviting chefs to donate recipes to a Wikibook of Cape Cuisine and attendants will also have the opportunity to share theirs.
There will be an opportunity for people to upload their images to the contest and we are calling all volunteers who are willing to assist people in doing so.
- Where : 6 Spin Street, Cape Town
- Time : 15:00 - 17:00
We hope to see you there!
Have you heard of First Thursdays, an incredible way of experiencing the cultural wealth Cape Town has to offer?
This Thursday, entries from the Wiki Loves Monuments 2014 competition will be on display, and auctioned to help raise funds for Wikimedia ZA, a not-for-profit organisation representing Wikipedia editors in South Africa.
When : 4 December 2014
Where : iSSi on Bree, 130 Bree St
Dictionary of SA Place Names
I've got a copy of the (just published this year) 4th edition of the Dictionary of Southern African Place Names. I'm happy to look up entries for anyone who wants to use them as references for articles. (The 1987 first edition is also available on the Internet Archive here.) - htonl (talk) 11:20, 11 December 2014 (UTC)
Wikipedia Primary School: first call for Community Reviews
Hi everybody! After our previous call for articles, here is a friendly invite to improve some articles before a version is sent to some external experts for review in January 2015. Deadline is Dec 31, 2014 for: Walter Sisulu — Discrimination — Stereotype — Herero and Namaqua Genocide— Winnie Madikizela-Mandela — Frances Baard — San people. Thanks a lot for your help with this! --Elitre (WPS) (talk) 16:30, 18 December 2014 (UTC), Wikipedia Primary School project.
Hi all. Can I ask my fellow MILHISTorians to weigh in on the AfD of this article? Unfortunately the page creator BoonDock has a COI as the founder of Just Done. Gbawden (talk) 17:53, 4 January 2015 (UTC)
- Without any independent reliable sources the article will not survive. Has any magazine or newspaper ever written an article about the company? Roger (Dodger67) (talk) 18:01, 4 January 2015 (UTC)
Hello everyone, just wanted to let you all know about the 7th Cape Town Wikipedia meetup will be happening on Sunday the 1st February 2015. Check out its page for more details. --Discott (talk) 14:48, 13 January 2015 (UTC)
WikiProject X is live!
You may have received a message from me earlier asking you to comment on my WikiProject X proposal. The good news is that WikiProject X is now live! In our first phase, we are focusing on research. At this time, we are looking for people to share their experiences with WikiProjects: good, bad, or neutral. We are also looking for WikiProjects that may be interested in trying out new tools and layouts that will make participating easier and projects easier to maintain. If you or your WikiProject are interested, check us out! Note that this is an opt-in program; no WikiProject will be required to change anything against its wishes. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Note: To receive additional notifications about WikiProject X on this talk page, please add this page to Wikipedia:WikiProject X/Newsletter. Otherwise, this will be the last notification sent about WikiProject X.