||This article may require copy editing for Last set of edits by LukasMaps caused several Checkwiki errors. (March 2015)|
Wilderness Territory is a large water resort in The Wisconsin Dells, USA. It has the largest indoor waterparks complex in the world with a combined indoor waterpark square footage of 240,000 square feet. It is part of a chain of two resorts, the newer and smaller one, the other being Wilderness At The Smokies in Tennessee. It also has 4 small outdoor waterparks. It was one of the first indoor waterpark resorts ever built, with Kalahari Resort, Great Wolf Lodge, and Chula Vista Resort, all also located in The Wisconsin Dells, earning it it's title as "America's Waterpark Capital".
- 1 History
- 2 Present-Day Features
- 3 Resort Areas
- 3.1 New Frontier Area
- 3.2 Wild West Area
- 3.3 Wilderness on the Lake
- 3.4 Glacier Canyon Lodge
- 4 Wilderness Transportation System
- 5 See also
- 6 References
In 1995, the Wilderness Hotel and Golf Resort opened for business along U.S. Highway 12 (Wisconsin Dells Parkway)and introduced the indoor waterpark concept to the marketplace with a 35,000-square-foot (3,300 m2) water park named Fort Wilderness. In 1999, the hotel added its second indoor waterpark Klondike Kavern and an additional 60 guest rooms.
In 2002, the resort unveiled the Wild West region of the hotel which features an 162 additional guest rooms, Dodge ‘Em City, a 30,000-square-foot (2,800 m2) indoor play park featuring Timberland Playhouse and Lake Wilderness outdoor waterpark. In 2003, the Wild West Waterpark opens for business.
Also, in 2003 Wilderness on the Lake a 108 condo upscale condominium resort opened. It is home to Cubby's Cove, a 35,000-square-foot (3,300 m2) indoor/outdoor waterpark complete with an Infinity pool overlooking Lake Delton.
In the summer of 2005, to mark the resort's 10th anniversary,the Wilderness Hotel & Golf Resort opened two thrill rides the Hurricane and Black Hole waterslides.
In April 2006, the Wilderness opens its largest indoor waterpark yet - the Wild WaterDome. This 70,000-square-foot (6,500 m2) waterpark park is home to the country's largest indoor wave pool, the Dueling Mammoths family raft ride and a Toddler Play 'N Spray area. The waterpark also features a FoilTec roof that allows UV rays to permeate through it and people to tan indoors. The resort also closes Fort Wilderness Waterpark, its first indoor waterpark built.
In July 2006, Glacier Canyon Lodge, the Wilderness's third property opens along with a 3.2 outdoor waterpark called the Lost World.
In 2008, the Wilderness unveiled Wild Rock Golf Club, a championship 18 hole course containing the infamous hole 17 or "Boneyard North" and renovated the Klondike Kavern waterpark.
In 2009, the Wilderness unveiled 3 indoor 3-D blacklight mini golf courses, an outdoor mini golf course, go-karts and a zip line adventure. The resort also opened Tombstone Town Haunted Hotel and Mineshaft Mirror Maze.
In 2010, the Wilderness renovated all of the Wilderness Hotel & Golf Resort guest rooms.
In 2012, the Wilderness opened The Northern Lights Sky Ropes Course, located in the Wild West region of the Hotel. The resort also added the Lunar Loop and Cosmic Drop extreme thrill slides, Pro Slide SuperLoopers, in the Lost World Outdoor Waterpark.
Today, the Wilderness Territory occupies over 600 acres (2.4 km2) of land and provides guests with 1,163 lodging options among its three main properties (Wilderness Hotel & Golf Resort, Wilderness on the Lake and Glacier Canyon Lodge) in addition to its freestanding Vacation Villas, Cabins and New Frontier Condominiums. The Territory also is home to 4 indoor and 4 outdoor waterparks totaling nearly 500,000 square feet (46,000 m2).
This is the original resort that features three indoor waterparks, two outdoor waterparks, and most of the amenities at the Wilderness Territory in WIsconsin Dells. The resort also features Wild Rock Golf Club, and the Wilderness Woods Par 3 Family Course. A skywalk is connected to the Glacier Canyon Lodge, and boats take guests to the Wilderness on the Lake Resort.
New Frontier Area
This area is themed after Eastern United States forests and mountain ranges. Its buildings are painted brown with highlights of green and black.
Klondike Kavern Indoor Waterpark
- 65,000 square feet (6,000 m2)
- Klondike Themed
- Klondike Krash, two 500 ft (150 m). tube slides
- Mine Shaft Drop, two high speed body slides
- "Bonanza Brook," a 500 ft (150 m) Lazy River
- "Bonanza Bluff," an interactive water play structure
- "The Hurricane," a 2-4 rider, multi-sensory ProSlide Tornado-Separately themed ride from the rest of the waterpark, similarly as its sister ride, Black Hole.
- "Sulfur Springs," Indoor/Outdoor Spas & Pools
- "Kodiak Kanteen" Snack Bar
Wild WaterDome Indoor Waterpark
- 70,000 square feet (6,500 m2)
- Beach Themed
- Innovative see-through roof allows you to tan indoors and plant to grow inside
- "The Great Wave" wave pool
- Mini-Mammoths Cove, a zero-depth toddler activity area
- "The Dueling Mammoths" racing family raft rides
- "Survivor's Bar & Grill"
- "Wooly's Eatery" Snack Bar
- Private Cabanas
- Margarita's Swim-Up Bar (opened in Summer 2014) 
New Frontier Outdoor Waterpark
- 110,000 square feet (10,000 m2)
- "Gold Rush Tube Slide", a thrilling 400 ft (120 m) enclosed tube slide
- "Gold Rush Body Slide", a mostly-open body slide
- "Timber Falls Tube Slide", a tube slide that launches off a 30-foot tower
- Prospector's Creek, a 600-foot (180 m) lazy river
- "Toddler's Cove", a zero-depth play area
- "Banana Slides", short body slides for the little ones.
- "New Frontier Springs", a large hot spa
- "Bear Foot Island Sprayground", an oasis area for children under 48" and their parents
- Raccoon Saloon
New Frontier Atrium
-Glitter Gulch Arcade-3 Story Arcade
-Electric Indoor Go-Karts
-Wild Canyon Cafe
-Fast Molly's Gift Shop
-Survivor's Bar And Grille
-OK Corral Lazer Tag
-Marshall Training Lazer Maze Vault
-Polka Dot Pots-Children's pottery studio
Wild West Area
This are is themed after the American West in the 1800s and its buildings are painted crimson with brown highlights.
Wild West Indoor Waterpark
- 70,000 square feet (6,500 m2)
- Western Gold Mine Themed
- "Wilderness Express" Tube Slide
- "Fantastic Voyage" Family Raft Ride
- "The Black Hole," a single-rider, multi-sensory ProSlide CannonBowl-Separately themed from the rest of the waterpark, similarly as its sister ride, Hurricane.
- "Wild West Body Slides", four high speed body slides
- "Ransack Ridge," an interactive water play structure
- "Wild West Bumper Boats"
- "High Plains Hot Springs", an indoor/outdoor spa
- "Grizzly's Grill" Snack Bar
- "The Thirsty Buffalo" Saloon Restaurant
Lake Wilderness Outdoor Waterpark
- 40,000 square feet (3,700 m2)
- "Rafter's Rage Tube Slide", a 300-foot (91 m) tube slide
- "Rafter's Rage Body Slide", a 220-foot (67 m) body slide
- "Lil' Chutes Banana Slides", two side-by-side body slides for little ones
- A children's wading pool with hands on water features
- "Island Pool", a 13,000 square feet (1,200 m2) lazy lake complete with sideline play activities and built-in lounging ridge
- A lap pool and water basketball
- Lily pad obstacle walk
- Volleyball pool
- Hot spas
- Mackinac Tap & Snack Shack
- Midway Macs Outdoor Grill
- 9 private poolside cabanas available for rent
Wild West Atrium
-Northern Lights Arcade-Single-floor arcade
-Timberland Play Park-Children's play structure
-Mini-Golf-2 indoor, glow in the dark mini-golf courses, one pirate themed and one western-themed.
-Pistol Pete's Ice Cream
-Thirsty Buffalo Bar And Grill
-Goody Gum Drop Candy Shoppe-privately owned
-OP's Marketplace-convenience store
-The Trading Post-gift shop
Wilderness on the Lake
Wilderness on the Lake is an upscale 108 condominium resort. The property also features a 35,000 indoor/outdoor waterpark, called "Cubby's Cove," which features a pool overlooking Lake Delton. This area is only connected to the main resort by a 10-minute shuttle bus ride year-round and a ferry service in the summer. The area is built to appeal to young adults with small children.
Glacier Canyon Lodge
The newest resort of the three Wilderness properties located on the Wilderness Territory, this facility is also an upscale condominium resort with 460 units. It features an outdoor waterpark (Lost World), which features an interactive river, three hot tubs, activity pools and Halley's Comet Racers. This area also includes a 55,661-square-foot (5,171.1 m2) Conference Center, a mega arcade, go-karts, and nature trails. Half of this area is owned by Wilderness Territories, the other half is owned by Wyndham Resorts.
Lost World Outdoor Waterpark
- Largest outdoor waterpark, spanning 3.2 acres
- Dinosaur themed
- "Lost World Adventure River", an interactive lazy river
- "Halley's Comet Racers," a four lane mat racing slide
- "Fossil Falls", a play 'n spray structure with a 750-gallon tipping bucket
- "Crocodile Cove", an island pool perfect for lounging
- "Dino Mania", an area with water basketball, lily pad water walk activity, and two sport slides.
- 15 private poolside cabanas available for rent
- "Lunar Loop" and "The Cosmic Drop", two 5-story body slides with launch capsules
- Three outdoor hot spas
- The Big Dig Restaurant
- Dinosaur Crossing Restaurant
- T-Rex Retreat
- Jurassic Joe's
-Go-Karts and Kiddie-Karts -Jurassic outdoor Mini-Golf -Wyndham outdoor pool -Jurassic Journey Nature Trail -Lost Canyon Zipline -Picnic Area -Lost Canyon Carriage Tours-private, not advertised by Wilderness, only accessible outside resort. Land is leased to Lost Canyon Riding Stable by Wilderness Territory.
GCL Conference Center
-Conference Center -Bean Bodega Coffee Shop -Convenience Store
-Canyon Ridge Tap Room And Restaurant -Campside Coffee Shop
-Jurassic Java Shop -Fitness Center
-Field's Premier Steakhouse-Private, advertised by Wilderness as part of resort, on Wilderness property.
-Monk's At The Wilderness Restaurant -same situation as above.
Wilderness Transportation System
The Wilderness operates a shuttle bus system with three lines:
Blue Line-Between Main Campus and Wilderness On The Lake
Red Line-Between Main Campus, Sundara Inn And Spa, Wild Rock Golf Course, Wilderness Condos, and Wilderness Vacation Villas.
Green Line-Between Main Campus, Glacier Canyon Lodge, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon. Stops at many more locations on Main Campus than other two lines.
In Addition, Wilderness Territory operates a ferry service called Wilderness Water Shuttle between the Wild Rock Golf Course, Wilderness On The Lake, and two other Lake Delton harbors during the summer.