|This article has been translated from the article Wilfried Feldenkirchen in the German Wikipedia, and requires proofreading.
If you are confident enough in your fluency of English and German, please feel free to join this translation.
Wilfried Feldenkirchen was born in Cologne and studied history, English studies and economics at the University of Bonn. He was awarded a PhD in 1974 for his thesis titled "Der Handel der Stadt Köln im 18. Jahrhundert" ("Commerce in the City of Cologne in the 18th Century"). In 1980 he earned a Habilitation with the thesis "Die Eisen- und Stahlindustrie des Ruhrgebiets 1879-1914" ("The Iron and Steel Industry of the Ruhr District 1879-1914"). Feldenkirchen was awarded the Heinz Maier-Leibnitz-Preis in 1982. In 1985 he unexpectedly became a professor at the University of Bonn and was director of the University Academic Exchange Service. He held a professorship at Saarland University in 1989/1990, and in 1990 was appointed to the chair of economic, social and business history at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. In 1990 he published a biography of Werner von Siemens; he also collaborated on the "Encyclopedia of German History". The focus of his scientific work was the economic history of the 19th and 20th centuries, the history of banks and savings banks, and the history of agricultural policy. Feldenkirchen was a Rotary Club member (Rotary Club of Euskirchen-Burgfey).
In 2010, Feldenkirchen was killed in an automotive accident in Hinterzarten while test-driving a replica Siemens Elektrische Viktoria, for which he was the project manager. The replica was built by a coachbuilder from Hinterzarten and had been shown by Siemens at the Shanghai Expo 2010.
- Die deutsche Wirtschaft im 20. Jahrhundert. München 1998, ISBN 3-486-55744-0.
- Werner von Siemens. Erfinder und internationaler Unternehmer. Berlin 1992, ISBN 3-8009-4156-2.
- Die Eisen- und Stahlindustrie des Ruhrgebiets 1879–1914. Wachstum, Finanzierung und Struktur ihrer Großunternehmen. Wiesbaden 1982, ISBN 3-515-03463-3.
- Der Handel der Stadt Köln im 18. Jahrhundert (1700–1814). Bonn 1975.
- Homepage of the Rotary Club of Euskirchen-Burgfey (in German)
- Rotary president in fatal accident (in German)
- Wilfried Feldenkirchen (1947-2010)
- Siemens project leader dies in test-drive of antique electric car (in German)
- Tragic test-drive: Professor dies in antique car accident (in German)
- The fateful test-drive of the "Elektrische Viktoria" (in German)
- Literature by and about Wilfried Feldenkirchen in the German National Library catalogue
- Webpage at University of Erlangen-Nuremberg