- This article refers to Wilhelm G. Solheim II, the Anthropologist. For his father, Wilhelm G. Solheim I the botanist, see Wilhelm Solheim (botanist).
Wilhelm G. Solheim II is an American anthropologist recognized as most senior practitioner of archaeology in Southeast Asia, and as a pioneer in the study of Philippine and Southeast Asian prehistoric archaeology. He is perhaps best known, however, for hypothesizing the existence of the Nusantao Maritime Trading and Communication Network (NMTCN), one of two dominant hypotheses regarding the peopling of the Asia-Pacific region during the Neolithic age.
Solheim began his archaeological training at the University of California, Berkeley, and then spent several semesters at the University of the Philippines under Prof. H. Otley Beyer. He completed his Ph.D. at the University of Arizona in 1959.
He has been Professor Emeritus Department of Anthropology, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa since he retired in December 1991.
- Casino, Eric S., George R. Ellis, Wilhelm G. Solheim II, Father Gabriel Casal and Regalado Trota Jose, People and Art of the Philippines, Museum of Cultural History, University of California, Los Angeles, 1962.
- Solheim, Wilhelm G. Archaeology of central Philippines : a study chiefly of the Iron Age and its relationships, Manila : National Science Development Board, National Institute of Science and Technology, 1964.
- Solheim, Wilhelm G. (editor). Anthropology at the Eighth Pacific Science Congress of the Pacific Science Association and the Fourth Far Eastern Pre-history Congress, Quezon City, Philippines, 1953, Honolulu, Social Science Research Institute, University of Hawaii, 1968.
- Solheim, Wilhelm G. Archaeological survey to investigate Southeast Asian prehistoric presence in Ceylon, Colombo : Commissioner of Archaeology, Ceylon Dept. of Archaeology, 1972
- Solheim, Wilhelm G., et al. Archaeological survey in southeastern Mindanao, Manila, Philippines : National Museum of the Philippines ; [Manoa] : University of Hawaii, 1979.
- Solheim, Wilhelm G., et al., (eds). Pacific region 1990 : change and challenge, Washington, D.C. : Fulbright Association ; [Hawaii] : Hawaii Chapter, Fulbright Association, 1991
- Solheim, Wilhelm G. Archaeology of central Philippines : a study chiefly of the Iron Age and its relationships, [Manila] : University of the Philippines, Archaeological Studies Program, 2002.
- Solheim, Wilhelm G., (edited by Victor Paz). Southeast Asian archaeology : Wilhelm G. Solheim II festschrift, Diliman, Quezon City : University of the Philippines Press, 2004. ISBN 971-542-451-1
- Solheim, Wilhelm G. Archaeology and culture in Southeast Asia : unraveling the Nusantao, (revised edition), Diliman, Quezon City : University of the Philippines Press, 2006. ISBN 971-542-508-9
- Baxter, John W.; Martha Christensen (Jan. - Feb., 1979). "Wilhelm Gerhard Solheim (1898-1978)". Mycologia (Mycological Society of America) 71 (1): 45–46. JSTOR 3759219.
- Valdes, Cynthia O.. "About Bill Solheim". Wilhelm G. Solheim II Foundation Website. Wilhelm G. Solheim II Foundation for Philippine Archaeology, Inc. Retrieved 5 February 2008.
- Solheim, Wilhelm G., II (2006). Archaeology and Culture in Southeast Asia: Unraveling the Nusantao. Diliman, Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press. p. 316. ISBN 971-542-508-9.
|This article about an American anthropologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|