23 October 1888|
Rastatt, Grand Duchy of Baden
|Died||18 February 1944
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1908–1944|
|Rank||General der Artillerie|
|Commands held||296. Infanterie-Division
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Wilhelm Stemmermann (23 October 1888 – 18 February 1944) was a highly decorated General der Artillerie in the Wehrmacht during World War II who commanded the XI Armeekorps. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Wilhelm Stemmermann was killed 18 February 1944 while attempting to breakout of the Cherkassy Pocket, he was posthumously awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Wound Badge (1914)
- in Black
- Knights Second Class of the Order of the Zähringer Lion
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Anschluss Medal
- Sudetenland Medal with Prague Castle Bar
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (12 September 1939)
- 1st Class (23 September 1939)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- in Silver
- General Assault Badge with "25" Numeral
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold (21 August 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Mentioned twice in the Wehrmachtbericht on (20 February 1944 and 22 February 1944)
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 333.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 67.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
|Commander of 296. Infanterie-Division
5 February 1940 – 1 January 1942
Generalleutnant Friedrich Krischer Edler von Wehregg
General der Panzertruppen Erhard Raus
|Commander of XI. Armeekorps
5 December 1943 – 18 February 1944
General der Infanterie Rudolf von Bünau