Wilhelmina Models (OTCQB: WHLM) is a talent management agency that was founded in 1967 by Dutch supermodel Wilhelmina Cooper and her husband, Bruce Cooper. Wilhelmina Models provides full-spectrum model management for women, men, full-figured, fitness, and children models, as well as athletes, entertainers, and musicians.
The Wilhelmina agency has offices in New York, Los Angeles, and Miami. The company also licenses its brand to third-party agencies throughout the world including the United States, Panama, and Thailand. As an extension of Wilhelmina’s talent representation business, Wilhelmina Artist Management specializes representing entertainers and musicians.
In February 2009, New Century Equity Holdings Corp., a publicly traded company, acquired Wilhelmina Models. New Century subsequently changed its name to Wilhelmina International, Inc. and now trades under the ticker symbol 'WHLM'.
Dutch supermodel Wilhelmina Cooper founded the agency with her husband Bruce Cooper and two minority partners, Bill Weinberg and Fran Rothchild in 1967. Wilhelmina developed numerous models, including Iman and Beverly Peele. Cooper died of lung cancer in 1980 at 40. The agency was transferred to her business partners after her death. Soon after her death, many of Wilhelmina's top-tier models left for other agencies.
Dieter Esch bought the agency in 1989 for a reported 4 to 7 million dollars. In 1993, he appointed his 21 year old daughter Natasha Esch president of the agency and gave her his shares as a college graduation present. She was criticized when she took the position for being too young and inexperienced. In 1997, Natasha Esch resigned from her position in order to pursue other opportunities. Dieter Esch succeeded her as president.
In February 2009, New Century Equity Holdings Corp., a publicly traded company, acquired Wilhelmina Models. Esch sold his stake in the agency for 22 million dollars. New Century subsequently changed its name to Wilhelmina International, Inc. and now trades under the ticker symbol WHLM.
- "Investor Relations". wilhelmina.com. Wilhelmina Models. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "WILHELMINA INTERNATIONAL INC (WHLM:OTCBB - OTCQB): Stock Quote & Company Profile - Businessweek". Business Week. August 7, 2013. Retrieved on August 7, 2013.
- Steinhauer, Jennifer (2 February 1997). "The New Wilhelmina Wears a T-Shirt". New York Times. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- Gross Michael (7 July 2013). "Model Citizen?". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- Kosman, Josh (28 April 2010). "Not a good model year". New York Post. Retrieved 4 January 2014.