|Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court|
September 27, 2012
|Appointed by||Mark Dayton|
|Preceded by||Helen Meyer|
|Judge of the Minnesota Court of Appeals|
September 3, 2002 – September 26, 2012
|Appointed by||Jesse Ventura|
|Preceded by||Sam Hanson|
|Succeeded by||John Smith|
January 13, 1964 |
Norfolk, Virginia, U.S.
|Alma mater||Yale University
Wilhelmina Marie "Mimi" Wright (born January 13, 1964) is an Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court. She is a former judge of the Minnesota Court of Appeals and a current nominee for United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota.
Early life and education
Wright was born on January 13, 1964 in Norfolk, Virginia. Growing up, her mother had to advocate for her to receive equal education due to ongoing resistance to integration. She went on to study literature at Yale University, and got her law degree from Harvard Law School.
Wright has earned numerous awards during her career, including the Myra Bradwell Award in 2006 from the Minnesota Women Lawyers, the Lena O. Smith Achievement Award from the Black Women Lawyers Network in 2004, the B. Warren Hart Award for Public Service from the Saint Paul Jaycees in 2001, and the Ten Outstanding Young Minnesotans Award in 2000.
Wright was appointed to the Minnesota Supreme Court on August 20, 2012 by Governor Mark Dayton, with her term beginning on September 27, 2012. She is the first African American woman to serve on the court.
District Court nomination
On April 15, 2015, President Barack Obama nominated Wright to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, to the seat being vacated by Judge Michael J. Davis, who will take senior status effective August 1, 2015. Her nomination is pending before the Senate Judiciary Committee.
- Jones, Barbara L. (August 24, 2012). "Wright: Recognition of this moment is important". Minnesota Lawyer. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Ragsdale, Jim (August 20, 2012). "Dayton's historic choice: First black female Supreme Court judge". Star Tribune. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Sepic, Matt (August 21, 2012). "Appeals Judge Wright is state's newest Supreme Court justice". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- "Judge Profile: Associate Justice Wilhelmina M. Wright". Minnesota Judicial Branch. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Jones, Barbara L. (October 19, 2012). "Wright promises to use her head and her heart on high court". Minnesota Lawyer. Retrieved February 22, 2014.
- Neely, Brett (April 15, 2015). "Obama nominates MN Justice Wright for federal bench". MPR News. Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
|Judge of the Minnesota Court of Appeals
|Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court