Will Carroll (born 1970) is a sportswriter specializing in the coverage of medical issues, including injuries and performance-enhancing drugs. He currently writes about sports injuries for the Bleacher Report. Carroll's "Under the Knife" column appeared on Baseball Prospectus for eight years during his stint there as a senior writer, and he also contributed to the site's radio efforts as well as the Puck Prospectus spin-off site. He is the author of three books on sports-related medical topics.
In 2003 Carroll joined the staff of Baseball Prospectus, for whom he served as its injury expert and wrote a regular "Under the Knife" column and periodic "Team Health Reports" as well as hosts Baseball Prospectus Radio. In February 2009, he assumed the role of Executive Editor of Puck Prospectus. In September 2010, Carroll announced his departure from Baseball Prospectus and published his last "Under the Knife" column.
In 2011, he joined SI.com, bringing both his "Under The Knife" (baseball) and "Injury Report" (football) devoted to sports injuries.
In 2013, he joined Bleacher Report. He is listed as the Lead Writer for Sports Injuries.
Carroll was one of the panelists, along with Jason Whitlock, for the premier week of the ROME show on CBS Sports Network.
Carroll has authored two books: Saving the Pitcher (2004),The Juice: The Real Story of Baseball's Drug Problems (2006), and edited The Carroll Guide to Sports Injuries (2010).
Awards and distinctions
- Carroll won the award for Best Fantasy Baseball Article in Print from the Fantasy Sports Writers Association in 2005, 2006 and 2007 for articles he contributed to the RotoWire Fantasy Baseball Magazine.
- The Juice: The Real Story of Baseball's Drug Problems (2005) won the 2005 Sporting News-SABR Baseball Research Award.
- In 2008 Carroll was named a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America and thus became eligible to vote on Major League baseball post-season awards and nominees to the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
- In 2009 Carroll was named a member of the Pro Football Writers Association.
- In 2014 Carroll was awarded the MORE Award by the American Academeny of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Saving the Pitcher. Chicago: Ivan R. Dee, Publishers, 2004; paperback 2007. (ISBN 1-56663-578-0)
- The Juice: The Real Story of Baseball's Drug Problems. Chicago: Ivan R. Dee, Publishers, 2005; paperback 2007. (ISBN 1-56663-668-X)
- The Carroll Guide to Sports Injuries. CreateSpace Publishers, 2010. (ISBN 1-44955-692-2)
- Other references
- Rich Lederer, "Tossing BP with Will Carroll," BaseballAnalysts.com, November 28, 2003.
- "Special Interview with Will Carroll," The Stat Pack, November 3, 2007.
- Nando Di Fino, "Fantasy's Disabled List Detectives," Wall Street Journal, April 10, 2008.
- Archive of articles by Will Carroll on "BleacherReport.com"
- Twitter handle: @injuryexpert
- Archive of articles by Will Carroll on BaseballProspectus.com
- Archive of articles by Will Carroll on SportsIllustrated.com