Will Smith (baseball)
|Milwaukee Brewers – No. 13|
July 10, 1989 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Left|
|May 23, 2012 for the Kansas City Royals|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.76|
William Michael "Will" Smith (born July 10, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played in MLB for the Kansas City Royals in 2012 and 2013.
Smith attended Northgate High School in Newnan, Georgia, where he played for the school's baseball team as a pitcher. He enrolled at Gulf Coast Community College in Panama City, Florida, where he continued his baseball career. After his freshman year at Gulf Coast, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim selected Smith in the seventh round, with the 229th overall selection, of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft.
Making his professional debut with the Orem Owlz of the Rookie-level Pioneer League, Smith recorded 76 strikeouts while walking only six batters. He pitched for the Cedar Rapids Kernels of the Class A Midwest League in 2009, and the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes of the Class A-Advanced California League in 2010. On July 23, 2010, the Angels traded Smith along with Sean O'Sullivan to the Kansas City Royals for Alberto Callaspo.
Pitching for the Northwest Arkansas Naturals of the Class AA Texas League in 2011, Smith and Kelvin Herrera combined to pitch a no-hitter on July 19, with Smith pitching the first seven innings. Smith began the 2012 season with the Omaha Storm Chasers of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League. The Royals promoted Smith to the majors for the first time on May 22, 2012.
- "Former Northgate pitcher Smith 2-1 in rookie league - The Newnan Times-Herald". Times-herald.com. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Milner, Brad (June 6, 2008). "Angels snag Smith: Gulf Coast freshman ready to begin professional baseball career". Archived from the original on February 28, 2009.
- "Angels get Callaspo for two pitchers". Sports.espn.go.com. July 23, 2010. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Second straight no-hitter in Kansas City Royals' farm system - ESPN". Espn.go.com. July 20, 2011. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- 05/22/2012 2:58 PM EST (May 22, 2012). "Royals select contract of left-handed pitcher Will Smith from Omaha". Kansascity.royals.mlb.com. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Brewers trade Norichika Aoki to Royals for Will Smith | HardballTalk". Hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. November 30, 2013. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Will Smith on Twitter