Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012)|
|Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down|
|Directed by||Hal Sutherland|
|Voices of||Howard Morris
|Theme music composer||Jeff Michael
|Country of origin||USA|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||18|
|Original run||September 12, 1970 – September 2, 1972|
Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down is a 1970 animated showcase for various caricatured Jerry Lewis characters, all based on characters from the Lewis film, The Family Jewels and styled in a fashion similar to Archie's TV Funnies and the Groovie Goolies. The title is a variant of the deciding question on the game show To Tell the Truth: "Will the real __________ please stand up?". Like most 1970s-era Saturday morning cartoon series, Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down contained an adult laugh track.
As with all of their wilder comedies, such as those mentioned above and later shows like Uncle Croc's Block and The Secret Lives of Waldo Kitty, Filmation stuffed the episodes with slapstick jokes, and the rubbery, gangly animated version of Lewis was well realised. Among the caricatured characters were Chinese detective Hong Kong Flewis and his rotund son, One Ton Son; Professor Lewis, and his sister Geraldine (and her pet frog, Spot). In the series, Jerry worked for the Odd Job Employment Agency under the supervision of the obnoxious Mr. Blunderbuss. A typical episode found Jerry being assigned a job, and making a complete shambles of it in his harmless, naive way.
Though Jerry Lewis himself contributed to some of the scripts, he did not voice his own character. That distinction belonged to David Lander, who would later be better-known for his role of Squiggy on Laverne & Shirley.
Notably wild in their style were the opening credits and commercial bumpers, and the title of the show was spoken by an announcer, simply at first followed by stretching the word 'please' and shouting 'sit down'. The stories themselves were perhaps slightly more conventional. Will The Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down contained several ethnic (notably Asian) stereotypes.
Along with Groovie Goolies, this was one of the first Filmation series to feature the rotating Lou Scheimer/Norm Prescott "wheel" credit. Previous shows featured a standard credit with Scheimer's name above Prescott's. It was also Filmation's first show to feature director Hal Sutherland's name written in fancy lettering.
|This section requires expansion. (September 2011)|
- Directed by: Hal Sutherland
- Animation Directors: Reuben Timmins, Rudy Larriva
- Production Manager: Rock Benedict
- Written by: Jack Mendelsohn, Jim Mulligan, Jim Ryan, Bill Danch, Bob Ogle, Chuck Menville, Len Jansen
- Art Director and Production Designer: Don Christensen
- Key Assistant: Mike Hazy
- Layouts: Don Bluth, Herb Hazelton, Jim Davis, Alberto DeMello, Jaime Diaz, Tom Knowles, Jack Manning, Ziggy Jablecki, Janet Brown, Jim Mueller
- Storyboard Artists: Sherman Labby, Mike O'Conner, Jack Miller
- Background Supervisor: Erv Kaplan
- Backgrounds: Paul Xander, Maurice Harvey, Bill Loudenslager, Patricia Frye, Phil Lewis, Doug Stevenson
- Animators: Amby Paliwoda, Kaem Wong, Ben Shenkman, George Waiss, Louise Sandoval, Russ Von Neida, Virgil Ross, Ralph Somerville, Len Rogers, Ed Solomon, Edwin Rehberg, Hank Smith, Lenn Redman, Larry Silverman, Virgil Raddatz, Bill Pratt, Norm McCabe, Barney Posner, Marshall Lamore, Rod Parkes, Paul Krukowski, Jack Ozark, George Kreisl, Casey Onaitis, Les Kaluza, Bill Nunes, Louis Kachivas, Larry Miller, Marie Jursic, Bob Matz, Karen Haus, Laverne Harding, Butch Davis, Lee Halpern, Emil Carle, Dick Hall, Herman Cohen, Zdenko Gasparovic, Bob Bransford, Frank Gonzales, Jim Brummett, Fred Grable, Ted Bonnicksen, Otto Feuer, Bill Ackerman, Ed Friedman
- Voices: Howard Morris, Jane Webb, David Lander
- The Jerry Lewis Theme Song Performed by: Richard Delvy and Ed Fournier for Ricky Sheldon Productions, a division of Richard Delvy Entertainment, Inc.
- Music Underscore by: Jeff Michael and George Blais
- Checking Supervision: Marion Turk, Jane Philippi
- Ink and Paint Supervision: Martha Buckley, Betty Brooks
- Xerography: John Remmel
- Prints by: Technicolor
- Camera Supervision: Sergio Antonio Alcazar, R.W. Pope, Frank A. Parrish, John D. Aardal, Ted C. Bemiller, Mike Kinney, Luis Melendez, Jr., Tony Rivetti, Dennis M. Lady
- Editorial: Joseph Simon, Jim Blodgett
- Film Coordinator: June Gilham
- Music and Sound Effects by: Horta-Mahana Corporation (Jan Moore, supervising editor)
- Produced by: Lou Scheimer and Norm Prescott
- Produced by: Filmation Associates, Inc., a TelePrompTer company
- (c) Filmation Associates, Inc. 1970
- Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down at the Internet Movie Database
- Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down at TV.com
- Will The Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down at Toon Tracker