The Collegian or Willamette Collegian is the student run newspaper of Willamette University in Salem, Oregon, United States. Originally founded in 1875, the weekly paper has been in continuous publication since 1889. It is a member of the College Publisher Network.
In 1842, the Oregon Institute opened, later becoming Willamette University. The Collegian newspaper began printing in 1875. The paper was re-established in 1889, and by 1908 the monthly paper was selling for $1. In 1948, the newspaper for a record a sixteenth year in a row was named an all-star publication by the National Pacemaker Awards, a national record. Also that year the paper made state-wide news with the publication of an interview with Oregon governor John Hubert Hall regarding race relations. In November 2000, the paper selected Presidential candidate Ralph Nader as its athlete of the week, pining that he was responsible for the outcome of the election.
In 2001, the paper earned several distinctions from the Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association in its division, including best cartooning, best writing, and best editorial. The following year it won for best news story, best review, and was honorable mention for overall excellence. In the 2004 contest The Collegian won for best design. In 2005, the paper received an honorable mention for best graphic. In 2008, The Collegian won several awards including a general excellence honorable mention, best writing, best news story, best editorial, best review, best columnist, best sports photo, and best cartooning.
- Jim Close, reporter for the Statesman Journal
- Don Scarborough, editor and reporter for the Statesman Journal
- E. Hale Tabor, newspaper publisher
- College Publisher Network Affiliates. College Publisher Network. Retrieved on March 4, 2008.
- Gibby, Susan. Salem Online History: Willamette University. Salem Public Library. Retrieved on March 3, 2008.
- Severance, Henry O., and Charles Harper Walsh. 1908. A guide to the current periodicals and serials of the United States and Canada, 1909. Ann Arbor, Mich: G. Wahr.
- Boone, June. 25 Years Ago: Portland of Years Past. The Oregonian, February 12, 1998.
- Nader picked as athlete of the week. Statesman Journal, November 13, 2000.
- 2001 Collegiate Newspaper Contest winners. Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association. Retrieved on March 4, 2008.
- 2002 Collegiate Newspaper Contest. Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association. Retrieved on March 4, 2008.
- 2004 Collegiate Newspaper Contest. Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association. Retrieved on March 4, 2008.
- 2005 Collegiate Newspaper Contest. Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association. Retrieved on March 4, 2008.
- 2008 Collegiate Newspaper Contest. Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association. Retrieved on December 7, 2008.
- Kim, Eunice (April 26, 2008). "Mid-Valley: Willamette student newspaper lauded". Statesman Journal. p. 2.
- Mark O. Hatfield Library: Collection Development. Willamette University. Retrieved on March 8, 2008.
- Forstrom, Tom. Close was always writing. Statesman Journal, October 29, 2001.
- Forstrom, Tom. Love of journalism kept Scarborough around. Statesman Journal, July 9, 2001.
- E. Hale Tabor. The Oregonian, September 9, 1990.