William A. Switzer Provincial Park
|William A. Switzer Provincial Park|
Highway 40 bisecting William A. Switzer Provincial Park
|Location||Yellowhead County, Alberta Canada|
|Area||93 km2 (36 sq mi)|
|Established||December 22, 1958|
|Governing body||Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation|
The park is situated in the Canadian Rockies foothills, at an elevation of 1,150 m (3,770 ft) to 1,300 m (4,300 ft) and has a surface of 93 km2 (36 sq mi). It was established on December 22, 1958 and is maintained by Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation. The park is named after former provincial Member of the Legislative Assembly William Switzer.
The following activities are available in the park:
- Beach activities, swimming
- Birdwatching (loons, grebes, ospreys, bald eagles, great grey owls, snipes and northern saw-whet owls)
- Canoeing and kayaking (including an interpretative canoe route)
- Cross-country skiing (58 km (36 mi) groomed trails, with 33 km (21 mi) at Athabasca Lookout Nordic Centre
- Fishing and ice fishing (brown trout and rainbow trout)
- Front country hiking (at Athabasca Lookout and Beaver Ranch, around Blue Lake, Gregg Lake, Jarvis Lake, Kelley's Bathtub, Kettle and Winter Creek)
- Mountain biking (Gregg Lake trail, Jarvis Lake trail)
- Power boating, sailing, water-skiing, windsurfing
- Snowmobiling (on lakes only)
- Tobogganing (at Athabasca Lookout Nordic Centre)
- Wildlife viewing (white-tailed deer, mule deer, elk,moose, bear, coyote, wood frog, gray wolf, beaver, mink, muskrat and caribou)
- Alberta Tourism, Parks, Recreation & Culture. "Activities in William A. Switzer Provincial Park". Retrieved 2007-07-20.
- Alberta Tourism, Parks, Recreation & Culture. "William A. Switzer Provincial Park". Retrieved 2007-07-20.
|This Alberta protected areas related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|