William Allmond Codrington Goode
|Sir William A.C. Goode
|Governor of Singapore|
9 December 1957 – 3 June 1959
|Preceded by||Robert Brown Black|
|Succeeded by||None (Office dissolved)|
|1st Yang di-Pertuan Negara of Singapore|
3 June 1959 – 1 December 1959
|Preceded by||Newly created post|
|Succeeded by||Yusof Ishak|
|Governor of North Borneo|
1959 – 15 September 1963
|Preceded by||Roland Evelyn Turnbull|
|Succeeded by||None (office dissolved)|
8 June 1907|
Twickenham, Middlesex, England
|Died||15 September 1986
Goring-on-Thames, South Oxfordshire, England
Sir William Allmond Codrington Goode GCMG (8 June 1907 - 15 September 1986) was a British colonial officer who served as governor to various Far Eastern colonies in the 20th century. Goode was the last Governor of the Crown Colony of Singapore, and the British protectorate of North Borneo.
Malaya, Singapore and Borneo
He joined the Malayan Civil Service in 1931, studying law in his spare time. He was admitted to the Bar by Gray's Inn in 1936. From 1936 to 1939 he served as District Officer, Raub and was appointed Assistant Commissioner for Civil Defence, Singapore in 1940, serving in the Singapore Volunteer Corps as a Lance Corporal during the Second World War. After the colony's capitulation in 1942, he was taken prisoner by the Japanese and sent to work in Siam on the Burma Railway from 1943 to 1945. He remained in Malaya after the war, and in 1948 became Deputy Economic Secretary to the Federation. In 1949 he was posted to Aden as Chief Secretary, where he also acted as Governor from 1950-1951. He returned to Singapore as Colonial Secretary in 1953 and became the colony's last British Governor in 1957. In 1959, as part of transitional arrangements, he was made Yang di-Pertuan Negara of the State of Singapore from June to December, and British High Commissioner. From 1960 to 1963 he was Governor and Commander-in-Chief of North Borneo.
He was made GCMG on his retirement to Berkshire, England in 1963.
In 1938 he married Mary Harding. She died in 1947 and three years later he married Ena McLaren.
- Chief Secretary of Aden (1949–1953)
- Acting Governor of Aden (1950–1951)
- Acting Governor of Singapore (1955)
- Colonial Secretary (1953–1957) [position renamed to Chief Secretary in 1955]
- Last Governor of Singapore (1957–59)
- First Yang di-Pertuan Negara (Head of State) of Singapore (1959)
- Last Governor of British North Borneo (1959–1963)
- "William A.C. Goode". Singapore Infopedia. National Library Board Singapore. 2005. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- J.M. Gullick (2004; online edn, May 2008). "Goode, Sir William Allmond Codrington (1907–1986)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 2013-05-22. Check date values in:
Sir Robert Brown Black
|Governor of Singapore
Sir William Allmond Codrington Goode
as Governor of Singapore
|Yang di-Pertuan Negara of Singapore