William Barclay (politician)
|William A. Barclay|
|Member of the New York State Assembly
from the 120th district
January 5, 1969 |
Syracuse, New York
|Residence||Pulaski, New York|
|Alma mater||St. Lawrence University
Syracuse University College of Law
William A. "Will" Barclay (born January 5, 1969) is a Republican member of the New York State Assembly representing the 120th Assembly District, which includes Oswego, New York and portions of Onondaga, Jefferson and Oswego counties.
Barclay was born in Syracuse, New York. He earned his B.A. from St. Lawrence University in 1992, and his Juris Doctor from Syracuse University College of Law in 1995. After graduating from law school he served as a clerk for Roger Miner, a judge in the United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit, in both Albany and New York City.
Barclay was first elected to the State Assembly on November 5, 2002. He won the November 2008 general election with 67 percent of the vote and ran uncontested in the November 2010 and 2012 general elections.
Barclay is currently the Deputy Minority Leader in the New York State Assembly, ranker on the Insurance Committee and Chairman of the Republican Assembly Campaign Committee.
On December 14, 2007, William Barclay announced his candidacy for New York State Senator, in New York's 48th Senate district. He was seeking to replace former Senator Jim Wright, who announced his resignation on December 12, 2007. He lost the election to Democratic assemblyman Darrel Aubertine (who was defeated the following term by Patty Ritchie, a Republican).
- "William A. Barclay (R), District 124". Capitol Info. Archived from the original on February 12, 2011. Retrieved March 24, 2011.
- "William A. Barclay: Biography". New York State Assembly. Retrieved March 24, 2011.
- "Assembly Member William A. 'Will' Barclay (NY)". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved March 24, 2011.
- "Election Results 2008: New York State Legislature". The New York Times. 2008.
- "Assembly Election Returns: November 4, 2008" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. 2008.
- "Election Results 2010: New York State Legislature". The New York Times. 2010.
- "Assembly Election Returns: November 2, 2010" (PDF). New York State Board of Elections. 2010.
- "http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/2012_election_results_how_syra.html#nyassembly". Syracuse.com. 2012.
- "William A Barclay".
- Barclay's page at the N.Y. State Assembly
- Barclay's bio at Hiscock & Barclay
- Syracuse Post-Standard Article regarding his run for State Senate[dead link]
|New York Assembly|
|New York State Assembly, 120th District