William Beaumont Health System
|William Beaumont Hospital|
|Location||Royal Oak, Troy and Grosse Pointe, Metro Detroit, Michigan, US|
|Network||Beaumont Health System|
|Emergency department||Level I Trauma Center|
|Helipad||32MI, Royal Oak, KVLL, Troy  and KDET, Grosse Pointe |
|Beds||(1,070 in Royal Oak campus), (418 in Troy campus), (250 in Grosse Pointe campus)|
Beaumont Health System is a regional health care system in Metro Detroit. It currently operates 1,728 beds at three locations. The Royal Oak campus with 1,070 beds is the 20th largest hospital in the US.
Groundbreaking began in 1953 for "Oakland Hospital". But because of a delivery mix-up and to further distinguish itself from nearby Oakwood Hospital it was decided to change the name of the new hospital. The new name was William Beaumont Hospital (WBH), the doors were officially open on January 24, 1955 with 238-beds in Royal Oak, Michigan in 1955. The hospitals, the overall health system and the school of medicine are all named for William Beaumont, a US Army surgeon who became known as the "Father of Gastric Physiology" following his research on human digestion started at Fort Mackinac on Mackinac Island, Michigan.
Beaumont is a regional healthcare provider that includes three hospitals in Metro Detroit all north or northeast of the City of Detroit, 1 in Oakland County (Royal Oak), 1 that is in both Oakland and Macomb County (Troy/Sterling Heights) and 1 in Wayne County (Grosse Pointe). Beaumont has various medical centers, nursing homes, rehabilitation facilities and hundreds of affiliated doctors' offices located throughout the area.
The largest Beaumont Hospital is located at 3601 W Thirteen Mile Road in Royal Oak, Michigan near Woodward Avenue and houses 1,070 inpatient beds. The facility also includes cancer, renal, vascular, heart and neuroscience centers as well as a research institute and a medical building with private practices and other Beaumont services. This location has a dedicated heliport.
The 418-bed campus of the Beaumont Hospital, Troy is located at 44201 Dequindre Road in Troy, Michigan south of South Blvd./20 Mile Road. This hospital location offers inpatient and outpatient services as well as private practices. This location has a pedestrian bridge to a medical office building across Dequindre Road. This puts this campus in two cities and two counties, the City of Troy, Michigan and the City of Sterling Heights, Michigan, as well as Oakland and Macomb Counties.
Beaumont Hospital, Grosse Pointe, is a 250-bed hospital located at 468 Cadieux Rd, Grosse Pointe, Michigan 48230. On October 1, 2007 it was acquired by Beaumont Hospitals from Bon Secours Health System Inc.
In 2012 Beaumont Health System has contracted with PHI Air Medical to provide dedicated medical flight service co-based at Beaumont Hospital Royal Oak and at the Oakland/Troy Airport. Currently one helicopter is in service, an American Eurocopter EC135. It will serve the Royal Oak, Troy and Grosse Pointe Beaumont Hospital locations, as well as providing inter-hospital transportation in a 350-mile radius. Since the Grosse Pointe location does not have a helipad, the helicopter will land at Detroit City Airport with short ground transport to the hospital. As Beaumont operates the only Level I Trauma Center in Oakland and Macomb counties this allows a quicker emergency transport for serious trauma victims in a large geographic region of approximately 2 million people.
Beaumont serves as a teaching hospital for University of Michigan Medical School, Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Wayne State University School of Nursing, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine and Michigan State University School of Nursing.
In 2010, Oakland University and William Beaumont Hospital received ACGME-accreditation to open an allopathic medical school to be called Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine (OUWBSM). Construction on new buildings and facilities at the Rochester Campus of Oakland University is underway and the first class of OUWBSM started in 2011.
Statistics and Rankings
|Royal Oak||Troy||Grosse Pointe|
|Total Specialty Rankings||13||12||5|
|Emergency Center Visits||120,132||79,788||35,178|
WBHS has over 3,100 (affiliated/staff) doctors representing 91 (medical/surgical) specialties and more than 14,000 full-time equivalent employees system wide. Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak is the third largest Medicare hospital in the US and one of the largest hospital in the country overall. Royal Oak is nationally ranked in seven specialties (Cardiology & Heart Surgery, #40; Diabetes & Endocrinology, #44; Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, #48; Geriatrics, #45; Orthopedics, #26; Pulmonology, #44; Urology, #48) plus an additional 5 regional high-performing rankings. All three hospital locations have a total of 30 national or regional rankings. These 2012 rankings are provided by U.S. News & World Report. Statistics for 2012 are provided by WBHS.
- "Level One Trauma Care". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "William Beaumont Hospital Heliport (32MI) in Royal Oak, Michigan". Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "32MI, William Beaumont Hospital Heliport Royal Oak, Michigan". Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "KVLL, Oakland/Troy Airport Troy, Michigan, USA". Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "KDET, Coleman A. Young Municipal Airport Detroit, Michigan, USA". Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "Timeline/Milestones". ASC Communications. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Timeline/Milestones". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- Beaumont, William (1838). Experiments and Observations on the Gastric Juice and the Physiology of Digestion. Edinburgh: Maclachlan and Stewart. ISBN 0-486-69213-2.
- Harré, R. (1981). Great Scientific Experiments. Phaidon (Oxford). pp. 39–47. ISBN 0-7148-2096-2.
- "About Beaumont's Digestive Health Center of Excellence". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Beaumont, Royal Oak Campus". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Locations, Maps & Directions
- "Beaumont, Troy Campus". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- "Beaumont, Grosse Pointe Campus". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Beaumont Hospitals acquires Bon Secours | Beaumont Hospitals
- Beaumont Medical Centers: Michigan Community Care
- Nursing Homes & Extended Care Facilities
- "Beaumont, UM expand helicopter transportation service". Crain Communications Inc. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Beaumont, PHI Air Medical launch helicopter transportation service". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Beaumont and PHI Air Medical launch helicopter transportation service". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Frequently Asked Questions, Beaumont One Air Medical Transportation Service". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- Graduate Medical Education Beaumont Hospital | Beaumont Hospitals
- Community Partnerships
- Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine - Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine - Oakland University
- Medical Education | Beaumont Hospitals
- Research and Innovation at Beaumont Hospitals in Michigan
- Beaumont Hospitals – Clinical Pastoral Education | Beaumont Hospitals
- "Top American Hospitals - US News Best Hospitals". U.S. News & World Report LP. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "Rankings & Statistics". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "Beaumont Fact Sheet". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- "Beaumont one of U.S. News & World Report’s ‘Best Hospitals’ for 19th year in a row". Beaumont Health System. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- Beaumont Health System
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak
- Beaumont Hospital, Troy
- Beaumont Hospital, Grosse Pointe
- Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine