William C. Overfelt High School
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (September 2009)|
|William C. Overfelt High School|
|1835 Cunningham Avenue
San Jose, California, US
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||East Side Union High School District|
|Principal||Mr. Vito Chiala|
|Color(s)||White, Red & Blue|
|Yearbook||M. Patricia Alvarez move to Texas|
Overfelt High offers foreign language, arts, mathematic, and English classes. In addition, they also offer accelerated Advanced Placement and honors classes. Overfelt High also offer a broad range of sport teams. Its athletic teams are known as the Royals.
The campus was built in 1962, making it the third-oldest school in East Side Union High School District. William C. Overfelt High School has modernized sections of the campus and the landscaping, with the assistance of Measure A funds. Measure G funds will provide modernization of all classroom areas.
In 2006, the school established the first AP European History class, which was taught byjk class was taught by Ms. Daphne Miller. In 2008, AP Psychology was restarted by the class-of-2009 and taught by Mr. Douglas Day. By the end of 2007, part of the school — the "B Wing" — was torn down in order to construct new C100 classrooms, as well as at the side of the school where new C200 classrooms were constructed for mainly incoming freshmen. The school has an outstanding wrestling team (a past State Champion), men's soccer team, and other sports teams. The women's tennis team has placed first in their league. The women's tennis team advanced to the Santa Teresa Division "B leagues" in 2008 and dominated that season- placing second in their league. By the summer of 2008, the tennis courts were resurfaced and the ladies continued to play their best. Competing against tough opponents, they placed fourth in the B leagues in 2009. Overfelt High School's women's varsity cross country team also had a good season by making it to CCS by placing 11th in the league finals. They ran at Toro Park and placed 12th at CCS.
Overfelt has also had a history of producing award-winning yearbooks, although there are no more yearbooks. The school's up-and-coming marching band program directed by Mr. Steven Barnhill in the late 1980s and early '90s won the first awards for the program during that time.
- Lee Evans : Olympic Gold medal winner.
- Carl Monroe : NFL running back who scored a touchdown for the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XIX.
- Jim Plunkett : NFL quarter back who won two Super Bowls.
- Sergio Bernal : Hollywood film director/actor.
- Xavier Campos : (2010) Member of the San Jose Planning Commission and City Council representative for District 5.
- Nora Campos : (2010) Serving on the San Jose City Council.
- Patricia Martinez : (2010) Serving as a member of the East Side Union High School Board.
- Hector "Benji" Joya: professional soccer player (USA National Team / Santos Laguna, Mexico ) class of 2011