William C. Rader
William C. Rader is a psychiatrist who administers injections of human fetal stem cells as what he calls therapeutic treatments for a variety of illnesses, a treatment which is not allowed in the United States and which has no scientific validity.
Rader was a medical expert for KABC Eyewitness News in Los Angeles from 1977 to 1991. Newsweek called his 5 part debut on KABC about compulsive overeating "riveting". In 1981, Rader published a book titled No Diet Program For Permanent Weight Loss[non-primary source needed]. In 1992, he started the Survivor Program, an organization helping victims of sexual abuse.[unreliable source?] He founded the Immune Suppressed Institute in 1993, an HIV/AIDS treatment center, in Mexico City.[unreliable source?] He also ran a chain of eating disorder clinics.
Rader first observed the human injection of fetal stem cells in 1994 at a Ukrainian clinic. In 1995, he started administering fetal stem cells to his own patients. His original stem cell clinic was in the Bahamas, but the clinic reopened in the Dominican Republic after the Bahamanian government asked him to leave following a critical television program aired in the United States. He has not published any results from his treatments in medical journals.
Of his injection process, he says "I'm not telling a cell where to go, because I have no clue where it should go. This is nature, God's work. Whatever you want to call it." Dr. Evan Snyder responded "That's not a therapy, that's snake oil." In 2009, the BBC's current affairs program Panorama aired an episode in which they investigated claims of Rader's high pressure sales tactics. Rader has stated that he charges $25,000 for the initial treatment and $8,000 for each followup. In 2010, Rader self-published another book titled Blocked in the USA: The Stem Cell Miracle.[non-primary source needed]
- Zarembo, Alan (February 22, 2005). "Outside the U.S., businesses run with unproved stem cell therapies". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 9, 2009.
- "Doctor Claims Controversial Stem Cell Treatment Works". KABC-TV (Channel 7, Los Angeles). May 9, 2007. Retrieved April 9, 2009.
- Rader, M.D., William (February 22, 2012). "Dr William Rader, MD Biography – Stem Cell Treatment". Drwilliamrader.com. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- Newsweek. Volume 91, Issues 10–17. Newsweek. 1978.
- Rader, William (1981-01-12). Dr. Rader's no-diet program for permanent weight loss. J.P. Tarcher. ISBN 9780874771398. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Panorama: Stem Cells and Miracles". BBC Online. May 18, 2009. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- Rader, William C.; MD, William C Rader (2010-03-01). Blocked in the USA: The Stem Cell Miracle. Nanog Publishing Incorporated. ISBN 9780615329055. Retrieved 26 February 2013.