William Carew Hazlitt
William Carew Hazlitt (22 August 1834 – 8 September 1913) was an English lawyer, bibliographer, editor, and writer. The son of barrister and registrar William Hazlitt, grandson of essayist and critic William Hazlitt, and great-grandson of Unitarian minister and author William Hazlitt, Hazlitt was educated at the Merchant Taylors' School and was called to the bar of the Inner Temple in 1861.
Among his many publications were Handbook to the Popular, Poetical and Dramatic Literature of Great Britain, from the Invention of Printing to the Restoration (1867), supplemented in 1876, 1882, 1887 and 1889, a General Index by J. G. Gray appearing in 1893.
He published further contributions to the subject in Bibliographical Collections and Notes on Early English Literature made during the years 1893-1903 (1903), and a Manual for the Collector and Amateur of Old English Plays ... (1892). He was the chief editor of the 1871 edition of Warton's History of English Poetry, and compiled the Catalogue of the Huth Library (1880).
He also published, Collections and Notes, 1867-1876 (London: Reeves and Turner, 1876; detailed bibliographical entries on many early English printed books) followed by Bibliographical Collections and Notes on Early English Literature, 1474-1700, 2nd series (London: Quaritch, 1882); 3rd series (London: Quaritch, 1892); 4th series (London: Quaritch, 1903).
He published The History of the Origin and Rise of the Republic of Venice in 1858 and Old Cookery Books and Ancient Cuisine in 1902.
Compendious in scope and idiosyncratic in selection is his Dictionary of Faiths and Folklore which preserves evidence of numerous folk customs now extinct.
- Who's Who 1914, p. xxii
- Early Modern English Library Catalogues, William M Hamlin, 2006.
- Hazlitt, W.C.: Dictionary of Faiths and Folklore: Beliefs, Superstitions and Popular Customs, London: Reeves and Turner, 1905, republished by Bracken Books, 1995, ISBN 1-85891-251-2
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Works written by or about William Carew Hazlitt at Wikisource
- Media related to Old Cookery Books and Ancient Cuisine at Wikimedia Commons
- Works by William Carew Hazlitt at Project Gutenberg