William Cavendish-Bentinck, 7th Duke of Portland
|The Duke of Portland|
March 16, 1893|
|Died||March 21, 1977
|Children||Lady Anne Cavendish-Bentinck (1916-2008)
Lady Victoria Bentinck (1918-1955)
|Parent(s)||6th Duke of Portland (father)
Winifred Anna Dallas-Yorke(mother)
Portland was the elder son of William Cavendish-Bentinck, 6th Duke of Portland, and his wife Winifred Anna (née Dallas-Yorke). He was elected to the House of Commons as the Member of Parliament (MP) for Newark in 1922, a seat he held until he succeeded his father in the dukedom in 1943, and served as a Junior Lord of the Treasury under Stanley Baldwin from 1927 to 1929 and under Ramsay Macdonald in 1932. He also held the honorary posts of Lord Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire between 1939 and 1962 and was the second Chancellor of the University of Nottingham between 1954 and 1971. In 1948 he was made a Knight of the Garter. He also held the appointment of the honorary air commodore of No. 616 Squadron RAF.
Marriage & Children
Portland married Ivy Gordon-Lennox, daughter of Colonel Lord Algernon Charles Gordon-Lennox and granddaughter of Charles Gordon-Lennox, 6th Duke of Richmond, on 12 August 1915. They had two daughters:
- Lady (Alexandra Margaret) Anne Cavendish-Bentinck (born 6 September 1916, died 21 December 2008)
- Lady (Victoria) Margaret Cavendish-Bentinck (born 9 October 1918, died 29 August 1955)
The family seat of Welbeck Abbey passed to his elder and only surviving daughter Lady Anne, who remained unmarried throughout her life. Portland's younger daughter Lady Margaret having died in 1955, leaving one son William Henry Marcello Parente (b. 1951), who was High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire in 2003-2004.
|Ancestors of William Cavendish-Bentinck, 7th Duke of Portland|
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (February 2013)|
- Pitchfork, Graham. The RAF's first jet squadron: 616 (South Yorkshire) History 1938–57, pp. 124–125.
- The Peerage, entry for 7th Duke of Portland
- http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/portland1907/portland1.htm "The Portland Peerage Romance (1907)"
- http://www.angelfire.com/in/heinbruins/Bentinck.html "The Descendants of Willem Bentinck and Charlotte Aldenburg"
- Michael Rhodes "High Sheriffs for 2003-4" alt.talk.royalty, 21 March 2003
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs [self-published source][better source needed]
- Lundy, Darryl. "FAQ". The Peerage.[unreliable source?]
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Portland
- William Cavendish-Bentinck, 7th Duke of Portland
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
John Ralph Starkey
|Member of Parliament for Newark
The Duke of Portland
|Lord Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire
Sir Robert Laycock
The Lord Trent
|Chancellor of the University of Nottingham
Sir Francis Hill
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|Duke of Portland
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|