William D. Hartung (born 7 June 1955) is director of the Arms and Security Project at the Center for International Policy. He has also served as a Senior Research Fellow in the New America Foundation's American Strategy Program, and is former director of the Arms Trade Resource Center at the World Policy Institute. He specializes in issues of weapons proliferation, the economics of military spending, and alternative approaches to national security strategy. Hartung was the director of the Arms and Security Initiative at the New America Foundation. Prior to that, he served as the director of the Arms Trade Resource Center at the World Policy Institute. He also worked as a speechwriter and policy analyst for New York State Attorney General Robert Abrams
He featured in the documentaries Hijacking Catastrophe: 9/11, Fear & the Selling of American Empire (2004) and Making a Killing: Inside the International Arms Trade (2006).
Hartung opposed the Iraq War and criticised the War on Terror on the basis that it would not 'quell the political powerlessness and frustration that fuels terrorism' in the Middle East, and that the Bush administration lacked moral authority as it supported Israel and undemocratic regimes.
Hartung resides in N.Y.
- And Weapons For All HarperCollins, 1995, ISBN 0-06-092641-4
- William D. Hartung (2003). How Much are You Making on the War, Daddy?: A Quick and Dirty Guide to War Profiteering in the Bush Administration. Nation Books. pp. 145–. ISBN 978-1-56025-561-1.
- Prophets of War: Lockheed Martin and the Making of the Military-Industrial Complex (Large Print 16pt). ReadHowYouWant.com. December 2010. ISBN 978-1-4596-0893-1.
- Miriam Pemberton; William D. Hartung (2008). Lessons from Iraq: avoiding the next war. Paradigm Publishers. ISBN 978-1-59451-498-2.
- "Biography". Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- William D. Hartung, Alan Sked, Ole R. Holsti, Gary Haubold and John Lewis Gaddis, Foreign Policy No. 135 (Mar. - Apr., 2003), pp. 6+8+10+12
- at The New America Foundation
- American Strategy Program homepage at New America Foundation website
- at Democracy Now
- Video debate/discussion with William Hartung and Lee Smith on Bloggingheads.tv
|This biography of a political scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|