William D. Johnson (CEO)
|William "Bill" Dean Johnson|
|Born||January 9, 1954|
|Alma mater||Duke University
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
|Known for||President and CEO of TVA; Chairman and CEO of Progress Energy|
Bill Johnson was born on January 9, 1954. He attended Pennsylvania State University, where he played football as an offensive lineman, but did not earn a degree. He later graduated from Duke University summa cum laude with a bachelor degree in history. He also obtained a law degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1982.
He joined Progress Energy precursor, Carolina Power & Light in 1995. He became President of Progress Energy in 2005, and Chairman and CEO in 2007. He remained the Chairman, President, and CEO of Progress Energy until the company was bought by Duke Energy in 2012.
Per the merger agreement between Progress and Duke, he was slated to become CEO of the new combined company. Within an hour after the merger closed, he was removed as CEO by the new board, the majority of whom were legacy Duke Energy board members. The Los Angeles Times estimates Johnson walked away with $44 million as severance.
- "Twitter / TVA_Newsroom: Johnson will begin as CEO on". Twitter.com. 2013-01-01. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Murawski, John (2012-11-05). "Ousted Duke Energy CEO Bill Johnson will lead the TVA". CharlotteObserver.com. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- "Progress Energy Names New CEO, Chairman". WRAL.com. 2007-10-12. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- "Bill Johnson: leading an energy powerhouse - Charlotte Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Executive Management: William (Bill) D. Johnson, Progress Energy, accessed January 2011.
- "William Johnson - Forbes". People.forbes.com. 2012-04-18. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- "List of Public Companies Worldwide, Letter - Businessweek - Businessweek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- "Progress Energy Board of Directors names Johnson Chairman and CEO", Media Release, October 12, 2007.
- Erman, Michael. "Progress CEO quits, Duke chief to run combined company". Reuters. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Flory, Josh. "New CEO Bill Johnson takes rocky path to TVA job » Knoxville News Sentinel". Knoxnews.com. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Hsu, Tiffany (2012-07-06). "CEO-for-a-day parachutes out of Duke Energy with $44 million". latimes.com. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
|This article about an American businessperson born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|