William Davis (politician)
|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives
from the 30th district
July 2, 1968 |
|Profession||Deputy District Administrator|
Early life and education
Davis was born on July 2, 1968, in Harvey, IL. He graduated from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale in 1989, earning a Bachelor of Arts Degree Political Science in three years. In 2009, Davis completed his Master of Public Administration Degree at Governors State University. He is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity and a founding member of the Better Funding for Better Schools Coalition.
Davis began serving in the Illinois House of Representatives on January 8, 2003. He is the Chair of the Health and Healthcare Disparities committee and Vice-Chairman of the Appropriations Elementary and Secondary Education committee. He also serves on the International Trade and Commerce, Labor, and Railroad Safety committees.
In 2005, Davis worked on legislation to increase access to quality and affordable health care for children, regardless of income. He also helped create the Illinois Cares Rx program, filling the gap in Medicare Part D coverage and ensuring that Illinois’ senior citizens and disabled persons receive the best coverage possible under the federal plan.
Davis also supported House Bill 750, which would increase the education foundation level by $1,000 per pupil. This while providing $2.4 billion in property tax relief statewide.
In 2007 he sponsored legislation that would require Illinois public schools to begin each day with a moment of silence. The controversial bill passed the Illinois General Assembly but was vetoed by the Governor Blagojevich. Both Houses of the General Assembly voted to override the governor's veto and the bill became Illinois law.
- "William Davis (D) 30th District". Illinois General Assembly. Retrieved 2008-05-03.
- Zorn, Eric (2007-10-11). "Why no noise over school silence bill?". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2008-05-03.
- "Public Act 095-0680". Illinois General Assembly Legislative Information System. 2007-10-11. Retrieved 2008-05-03.
- Representative William Davis (D) 30th District
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- William Davis at Illinois House Democrats
|This article about an Illinois politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|