William Dugdale (Aston Villa chairman)
|Sir William Dugdale, Bt|
|Chairman of Aston Villa Football Club|
|Preceded by||Doug Ellis (1975)|
|Succeeded by||Doug Ellis (1982)|
29 March 1922
Sir William Stratford Dugdale, 2nd Baronet, CBE MC DL (born 29 March 1922) was the chairman of Aston Villa Football Club from 1975 to 1982, during the club's most successful period in modern times. Dugdale took over the position from Doug Ellis in 1975, before being replaced by the same man seven years later. During his seven-year spell, the club's proudest moment came as Bayern Munich were beaten 1-0 in the final of the 1981–82 European Cup.
Dugdale was born on 29 March 1922, the son of Sir William Francis Stratford Dugdale, 1st Bt. and Margaret Gilmour and educated at Eton College and Balliol College, Oxford. He succeeded to the title of 2nd Baronet Dugdale, of Merevale and Blyth, co. Warwick [U.K., 1936] on 18 April 1965.
He fought in the Second World War, where he was mentioned in despatches, gaining the rank of Captain in the service of the Grenadier Guards. He was decorated with the award of Military Cross (M.C.) in 1943.
He was a practising solicitor in 1949. He held the office of Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Warwickshire in 1951 and office of Deputy Lieutenant (D.L.) of Warwickshire in 1955. He held the office of High Sheriff of Warwickshire for 1971. He held the office of Sheriff of Stratford-upon-Avon in 1976. He was invested as a Commander, Order of the British Empire (C.B.E.) in 1985.
He was chairman of General Utilities plc between 1988 and 1999. He lived in 2003 at Merevale Hall, Atherstone, Warwickshire and at 24 Bryanston Mews West, London, England.
He married, firstly, Lady Belinda Pleydell-Bouverie, daughter of William Pleydell-Bouverie, 7th Earl of Radnor and Helena Olivia Adeane, on 13 December 1952. He married, secondly, Cecilia Mary Mount, daughter of Sir William Malcolm Mount, 2nd Bt. and Elizabeth Nance Llewellyn, on 17 October 1967.
Children of Sir William Stratford Dugdale, 2nd Bt. and Lady Belinda Pleydell-Bouverie:
- Laura Dugdale b. 20 Sep 1953
- Matilda Dugdale b. 15 May 1955
- Charlotte Dugdale b. 15 May 1955
- William Matthew Stratford Dugdale b. 22 Feb 1959
Children of Sir William Stratford Dugdale, 2nd Bt. and Cecilia Mary Mount:
- Adelaide Margaret Victoria Jane Dugdale b. 9 Jul 1970
- Thomas Joshua Stratford Dugdale b. 20 Sep 1974
- [S8] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999), volume 1, page 888. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition.
- [S300] Michael Rhodes, "re: Ernest Fawbert Collection," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 8 February. Hereinafter cited as "re: Ernest Fawbert Collection."
- [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003). Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- [S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 1198.
- [S8] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, volume 1, page 889.