William Edward Baxter
|The Right Honourable
William Edward Baxter
|Financial Secretary to the Treasury|
17 March 1871 – 11 August 1873
|Prime Minister||William Ewart Gladstone|
|Preceded by||James Stansfeld|
|Succeeded by||John George Dodson|
|Died||10 August 1890|
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh|
Background and education
Born in Dundee, Angus, Baxter was educated at the High School of Dundee and Edinburgh University. He was the son of Edward Baxter, a benefactor and reformer who had opposed the corn laws. He became a partner in his father's firm of Edward Baxter & Co. (afterwards W. E. Baxter & Co.).
Baxter was Liberal Member of Parliament for Montrose Burghs from 1855 to 1885, and served under William Ewart Gladstone as Secretary to the Admiralty from 1868 to 1871 and as Financial Secretary to the Treasury from 1871 to 1873. He was appointed a Privy Counsellor in 1873. He was also President of the first day of the 1883 Co-operative Congress.
William Edward Baxter was the grandson of William Baxter, the founder of the Baxter Brothers textile business. His uncle, Sir David Baxter, was a noted businessman and philanthropist and his aunt, Mary Ann Baxter was the co-founder of University College, Dundee.
W. E. Baxter's son was Sir George Washington Baxter (1853–1926), a leading figure in the Unionist Party in Scotland in the early twentieth century. In 1908 he sought election in Dundee as a Liberal Unionist candidate, but was defeated by the Liberal Winston Churchill. Sir George served as President of the Scottish Unionist Association in 1920.
Baxter published various works on foreign travel.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "M" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Kenneth Baxter (2011). "Mary Ann Baxter:Philanthropist and Founder of University College Dundee". Ten Taysiders. Forgotten Figures from Dundee Angus and Perthshire. Dundee: Abertay Historical Society. p. 31. ISBN 978-0-900019-48-7.
- The London Gazette: . 25 March 1873.
- "Congress Presidents 1869-2002". February 2002. Retrieved 2008-05-10
- "Death of the Right Hon. W. E. Baxter Ex-MP". The Scotsman. 11 Aug 1890.
- Kenneth Baxter (2011). "Mary Ann Baxter:Philanthropist and Founder of University College Dundee". Ten Taysiders. Forgotten Figures from Dundee Angus and Perthshire. Dundee: Abertay Historical Society. p. 32. ISBN 978-0-900019-48-7.
- Hazel, John W. (1977). John W Hazel's Book of Records. Dundee: D. Winter & Son Ltd. p. 48.
- Warner, Gerald (1988). The Scottish Tory Party. A History. London: George Weidenfield & Nicolson Limited. p. 228. ISBN 0-297-79101-X.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by William Edward Baxter
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Montrose Burghs
1855 – 1885
John Shiress Will
Lord Henry Lennox
|First Secretary to the Admiralty
(Parliamentary Secretary to the Admiralty)
|Financial Secretary to the Treasury
John George Dodson