William F. Schulz
|This biographical article relies on references to primary sources. (February 2009)|
|William F. Schulz|
|Spouse(s)||Rev. Beth Graham|
William F. "Bill" Schulz (born 1949) was the Executive Director of Amnesty International USA, the U.S. division of Amnesty International, from March 1994 to 2006. He is an ordained Unitarian Universalist minister, and served as president of the Unitarian Universalist Association from 1985 to 1993. He is married to the Rev. Beth Graham, who is also a Unitarian Universalist minister; they both live in New York. Schulz has two grown children from a previous marriage. He is currently a Senior Fellow at the Center for American Progress and an Adjunct Professor of International Relations at The New School. Schulz was the recipient of the 2000 Humanist of the Year award from the American Humanist Association. In March 2006, Schulz gave a lecture entitled "Tainted Legacy: 9/11 and the Ruin of Human Rights" at the University of San Diego's Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice Distinguished Lecture Series. On October 29, 2010, The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee announced that Schulz would serve as its next president and CEO.
Education and honors
Schulz is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Oberlin College (1971), holds a master's degree in philosophy from the University of Chicago (1974), and both a master's degree in theology and a Doctor of Ministry degree from Meadville Lombard Theological School in 1973 and 1975.
In addition to being awarded an honorary D.D. (Doctor of Divinity) from Meadville Lombard in 1987, he was also awarded an honorary L.H.D.s (Doctor of Humane Letters) from Nova Southeastern University in 1995, Grinnell College in 2004, Oberlin College, the University of Cincinnati and Willamette University in 2005, Lewis & Clark College in 2006 and Sage College of Albany in 2010.
From 1997 to 2005, Federal Election Commission records show that William F. Schulz contributed a total of $9,450 to the campaigns of Democratic Party politicians Gary Ackerman, Geraldine Ferraro, Carolyn McCarthy, Steve Israel, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Edward M. Kennedy, Charles Schumer, John Kerry, Patrick Leahy, Bill Nelson and Al Gore.
Schulz is the author of several books, including:
- In Our Own Best Interests: How Defending Human Rights Benefits Us All (Beacon Press, 2002) ISBN 0-8070-0227-5
- Tainted Legacy: 9/11 and the Ruin of Human Rights (Nation Books, 2003). ISBN 1-56025-489-0
- "A New Morning: Farewell to AIUSA Executive Director Bill Schulz". Amnesty International USA. Spring 2006. Retrieved 2006-11-25.
- "uuworld.org: William F. Schulz". Unitarian Universalist Association. Fall 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-09.
- http://www.gpia.info/faculty/Schulz.html accessed 15 October 2007
- "UUSC Names Bill Schulz as New President and CEO". Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- database of the Federal Election Commission of the USA, checked on 00:10, 12 January 2006 (UTC)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008)|