William F. Slocum
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2012)|
|William Frederick Slocum, Jr.|
July 29, 1851|
|Died||1934 (aged 82–83)|
|Alma mater||Amherst College, 1874
Andover Theological Seminary, 1878
|Occupation||journalist, pastor, educator|
|Known for||President of Colorado College|
|Spouse(s)||Mary Goodall Montgomery, m. 1880|
|Parents||William F. Slocum
He was the son of William F. Slocum, a Boston lawyer, and Margaret Tinker. He graduated from Amherst College in 1874. In 1874 and 1875, he was a newspaper correspondent in England and Germany. By 1876, he was at Andover Theological Seminary, where he graduated in 1878. He held Congregational pastorates at Amesbury, Massachusetts (1878–83), and Baltimore, Maryland (1883–88). He then became president of Colorado College, where he remained until his retirement in 1917 to Newton Center, Massachusetts. He lectured and wrote on educational and sociological subjects. In 1880, he married Mary Goodall Montgomery.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
William Frederick Slocum, Jr.
- The present status and probable future of the college in the West by William Frederick Slocum
- Addresses at the annual meeting of the New West Education Commission by Frank W Gunsaulus
- The nation's guarantee of personal rights by William Frederick Slocum
- Addresses at the commencement exercises of Colorado College, June 1913
- Mormonism and Jesuitism : addresses at the annual meeting of the New West Education Commission, held October 14, 1890, in the First Congregational Church, Chicago
- Constitutional basis of citizenship in the United States; commencement address, May 26, 1911 by William Frederick Slocum
- Annual address before the twenty-eighth continental congress of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution by William Frederick Slocum
- Best use of a large bequest in the erection of a sanatorium for the benefit of consumptives by W. F Slocum
- Present Status and Probable Future of the College in the West by Colorado College
- Nation's Guarantee of Personal Rights by Colorado College
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2013)|
- "Colorado College Tutt Library: Presidents of Colorado College". coloradocollege.edu. Retrieved 5 July 2011.
- "Slocum, William F.". Who's Who 57: 1484. 1905.
- Edwin Emerson, Jr. (ed.). The College year-book and athletic record for the academic year 1896-97. New York: Stone & Kimball. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "Slocum, William Frederick 1851-1934". WorldCat Identities. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Rines, George Edwin, ed. (1920). "Slocum, William F.". Encyclopedia Americana.
- In memoriam William Frederick Slocum, 1851-1934. Colorado College. 1934.
- Joe P. Dunn (Spring 2010). "Scandal on the Plains: William F. Slocum, Edward S. Parsons, and the Colorado College Controversies". Great Plains Quarterly 30: 117–34.