William F. Zorzi
|William F. Zorzi|
|Occupation||Journalist, Television Writer|
|Notable work(s)||The Wire|
William F. Zorzi is an American journalist and screenwriter. He worked at The Baltimore Sun for almost twenty years and covered politics for the majority of his career. He has also written for the HBO television series The Wire.
He worked at The Baltimore Sun for almost twenty years and covered politics for the majority of his career. He has also covered the courts and the crime beat. As a reporter Zorzi has been described as tough and cranky and characteristically refused to accept free gifts (including food) from the politicians he was covering. He wrote a weekly column called "The Political Game" for five years in the mid nineties. He left reporting in 1998 and became The Sun's Weekend Metropolitan Editor. He later became Assistant City Editor.
Zorzi left The Sun in 2002 to develop a script for HBO. The project was to be "about the volatile events surrounding a federal public housing desegregation case in Yonkers, NY." It is still in production.
Zorzi had previously worked with television producer David Simon at The Sun. Zorzi had a brief cameo appearance in the first season of Simon's HBO crime series The Wire. He appeared as a reporter in the 2002 episode "The Buys." Zorzi joined the crew of The Wire as a staff writer for the third season in 2004. Zorzi was hired to add authenticity to a new political story line. Fellow writer George Pelecanos commented that he knew that anything he wrote for the political story line would be extensively re-written by Simon and Zorzi. Zorzi was promoted to story editor for the fourth season in 2006 and made his television writing debut. He wrote the teleplay for the episode "Unto Others" from a story he co-wrote with producer Ed Burns. Zorzi and the writing staff won the Writers Guild of America (WGA) Award for Best Dramatic Series at the February 2008 ceremony and the 2007 Edgar Award for Best Television Feature/Mini-Series Teleplay for their work on the fourth season.
Zorzi returned as an executive story editor and writer for the fifth season in 2008. He also joined the cast as a fictionalized version of himself. He wrote the teleplay for the episode "Unconfirmed Reports" from a story he co-wrote with Simon. Zorzi and the writing staff were nominated for the WGA award for Best Dramatic Series a second time at the February 2009 ceremony for their work on the fifth season but Mad Men won the award.
Following production of the fourth season Zorzi spent a year teaching Journalism at the Baltimore Freedom Academy, a public high school in the city. He also helped the school to launch a newspaper.
|2008||The Wire||Executive story editor||Season 5|
|2006||Story editor||Season 4|
|2004||Staff writer||Season 3|
|2008||The Wire||5||"Unconfirmed Reports"||2||Teleplay by Zorzi, story by Zorzi and David Simon|
|2006||4||"Unto Others"||7||Teleplay by Zorzi, story by Zorzi and Ed Burns|
|2009||Writers Guild of America Award||Outstanding Dramatic Series||Nominated||The Wire season 5||Shared with Ed Burns, Chris Collins, Dennis Lehane, David Mills, George Pelecanos, Richard Price and David Simon|
|2008||Won||The Wire season 4||Shared with Ed Burns, Chris Collins, Kia Corthron, Dennis Lehane, David Mills, Eric Overmyer, George Pelecanos, Richard Price and David Simon|
|2007||Edgar Award||Best Television Feature/Mini-Series Teleplay||Won||Shared with Ed Burns, Kia Corthron, Dennis Lehane, David Mills, Eric Overmyer, George Pelecanos, Richard Price and David Simon|
- "William F. Zorzi biography". HBO. 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-17.
- Margaret Talbot (2007). "Stealing life". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2007-10-17.
- "The Wire season 3 crew". HBO. 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- "The Wire season 4 crew". HBO. 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
- Anthony Hemingway (2004-10-29). "Unto Others". The Wire. Season 4. Episode 7. HBO.
- "Episode guide - episode 44 Unto Others". HBO. 2006. Retrieved 2006-11-01.
- "Curtains Receives Edgar Award Nomination". Theatre Mania.
- "2008 Writers Guild Awards Television & Radio Nominees Announced". WGA. 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-13.
- "Character profile - Bill Zorzi". HBO. 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Ernest Dickerson (2008-01-13). "Unconfirmed Reports". The Wire. Season 5. Episode 2. HBO.
- "The Wire episode guide - episode 52 Uncomfirmed Reports". HBO. 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
- "2009 Writers Guild Awards Television, Radio, News, Promotional Writing, and Graphic Animation Nominees Announced". WGA. 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-12.