William G. Bowen
|William G. Bowen|
|President of Princeton University|
|Term||1972 – 1988|
|Predecessor||Robert F. Goheen|
|Successor||Harold T. Shapiro|
October 6, 1933 |
William G. Bowen (born October 6, 1933) is President Emeritus of The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation where he served as President from 1988 to 2006. He was the president of Princeton University from 1972 to 1988.
In 1988, he left Princeton and joined The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, where he created a research program to investigate doctoral education, collegiate admissions, independent research libraries, and charitable nonprofits in order to ensure that the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation's grants would be well-informed and more effective.
Bowen has authored 19 books, including the Grawemeyer Award-winning The Shape of the River: Long-Term Consequences of Considering Race in College and University Admissions (co-authored with Derek Bok). One of his most recent books, Equity and Excellence in American Higher Education (2005), was coauthored with Eugene M. Tobin and Martin A. Kurzweil. Bowen's current research project is a study of graduation rates at public universities in the United States. This research culminated in the book Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Public Universities that was coauthored with Matthew M. Chingos and Michael S. McPherson.
- Founding chairman of the board of Ithaka.
- Trustee on the Board of the Trust Committee that oversees the Rockefeller family trusts.
- Serves on the following boards: JSTOR, ARTstor, Ithaka, Board of Overseers of Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association and College Retirement Equities Fund. Former board member of American Express, Merck & Co, Inc., and the University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development.
- Former professor of economics and public affairs at Princeton University.
Awards and recognition
In 2001, he received the University of Louisville Grawemeyer Award for his book written with Derek Bok, The Shape of the River: Long-Term Consequences of Considering Race in College and University Admissions. 
Robert F. Goheen
|President of Princeton University
Harold T. Shapiro
John Edward Sawyer
|President of Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
Don Michael Randel
- Bowen, W.G. and Chingos, M.M., McPherson, M.S.: Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Public Universities
- President Obama to Award 2012 National Medal of Arts and National Humanities Medal Whitehouse.gov, retrieved 30 June 2013
- Princeton University - Former Princeton President Bowen awarded National Humanities Medal
- "José Vasconcelos World Award of Education 2008". Retrieved August 14, 2013.