William Gilbert Chaloner
|Born||William Gilbert Chaloner
November 22, 1928
|Thesis||The spores of the Carboniferous lycopods (1953)|
Professor William Gilbert Chaloner FRS (born 22 November 1928) is a British paleobotanist. He is Emeritus Professor of Botany in the Earth Sciences Department at Royal Holloway, University of London, and Visiting Professor in Earth Sciences at University College, London.
Education and Early Life
Chaloner was born in Chelsea, the son of Ernest J and Lenore (née Maude) Chaloner and was educated at Kingston Grammar School. He attended evening classes in Geology at Chelsea Polytechnic. In 1947 he went to study Botany, Geology and Chemistry at the University of Reading and was awarded a Bachelor of Science degree in 1950 followed by a Ph.D in 1953.
After a year at the University of Michigan he returned home to serve two years National Service in the army before joining the faculty of the Department of Botany at University College, London in 1956. In 1972 he became Professor of Botany at Birkbeck College. In 1979 he was appointed to the Hildred Carlyle Chair of Botany at Bedford College. He has held visiting professorships at Pennsylvania State University, University of Nigeria, Nsukka and the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
Awards and honours
Chaloner is an elected Fellow of the Royal Society, the Linnean Society and the recipient of several awards, including the Linnean Medal and the Palaeontological Association's Lapworth Medal. He was elected as a Trustee for the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew in 1983. He was president of the Linnean Society from 1985 to 1988.
Chaloner married his American wife Judith; they have two daughters and a son.
- Beerling, D. J.; Osborne, C. P.; Chaloner, W. G. (2001). "Evolution of leaf-form in land plants linked to atmospheric CO2 decline in the Late Palaeozoic era". Nature 410 (6826): 352–4. doi:10.1038/35066546. PMID 11268207.
- Works by or about William Gilbert Chaloner in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- William Gilbert Chaloner F.R.S.: biography and bibliography. / Scott, Andrew C.; Collinson, Margaret. Studies in palaeobotany and palynology in honour of Professor W. G. Chaloner. ed. / M.E. Collinson; A.C. Scott. Vol. 49 London : Palaeontological Association, 1993. p. 5-11 (Special papers in palaeontology; 49).
- Interview with Professor William G. (Bill) Chaloner
- "William Gilbert Chaloner F.R.S.: biography and bibliography". Royal Holloway, University of London. Retrieved 2010-07-18.[dead link]
- Library of Congress Name Authority File
- "Recipients of the Lapworth Medal for Palaeontology". Retrieved 2010-01-12.
|This article about a British botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|