William I. Robinson
William I. Robinson is an American professor of sociology at the University of California, Santa Barbara. His work focuses on political economy, globalization, Latin America and historical materialism. He is a member of the International Parliamentary and Civil Society Mission to Investigate the Political Transition in Iraq.
In the early 1980s Robinson worked as a journalist in war-torn Nicaragua. He was a member of Union of Nicaraguan Journalists (past member and officer 1984-1990).
He then went on to study for his BA in Journalism with the Friends World College in Nairobi (Kenya), Ibadan (Nigeria), and Costa Rica. Following this he received both his MA in Latin American Studies and his PhD in Sociology at the University of New Mexico.
For a list of his many academic journal articles and books see his UCSB Sociology Department website: http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/faculty/robinson/vitae.shtml
For a list of his contributions to Al Jazeera see: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/profile/william-i-robinson.html
Many of his works have been translated into Spanish, some of which can be found here: http://alainet.org/active/show_author.phtml?autor_nombre=William%20I.&autor_apellido=Robinson
Entire symposiums and issues of scholarly journals have focused on discussing and debating Robinson's theories on global capitalism, class, and political economy. See for example the May 2012 issue of Critical Sociology , the April 2001 issue of Theory and Society, the debate between Robinson and noted Marxian theorist Ellen Meiksens Wood in issue 15 of the journal Historical Materialism, the debate between British political economist in the 2009 volume 1(2) of the journal of the contemporary science association.
In 2009 Robinson forwarded an e-mail to his "Sociology of Globalization" course, to spur class discussion, that had photos of the 2008-9 Israeli assault on Gaza paralleling photos of the German occupation of the Warsaw Ghetto during the Second World War. The e-mail was widely circulated and became the subject of media controversy, after it was revealed that the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), a conservative pro-Israel lobbyist organization, pressured university administrators to punish him. A Jewish student in the class brought a complaint against Robinson, that she was intimidated by the e-mail. The ADL criticized Robinson, considering the matter a case of academic misconduct, while California Scholars for Academic Freedom considered it a case of academic freedom and the charges without merit. Scholars for Peace in the Middle East, a pro-Israel group of academics, said that the incident had raised "serious questions about his judgment and the value of his teaching," and that "Concern for academic freedom does not justify or erase what is clearly and profoundly flawed pedagogy."  Robinson stated that his critics had confused his criticism of Israeli policies with anti-Semitism. "That's like saying if I condemn the U.S. government for the invasion of Iraq, I'm anti-American. It's the most absurd, baseless argument."
University officials initiated an investigation of Robinson to probe the allegations that the email Robinson had forwarded to his class was inappropriate and in violation of the faculty code of ethics. The charges were dismissed in May 2009.
- Robinson, William I.; Norsworthy, Kent (1987). David and Goliath: the U. S. War Against Nicaragua. New York, N.Y.: Monthly Review Press. ISBN 0-85345-721-2.
- Robinson, William I. (1992). A Faustian Bargain: U. S. Intervention in the Nicaraguan Elections and American Foreign Policy in the post-Cold War Era. Boulder: Westview Press. ISBN 0-8133-8233-5.
- Robinson, William I. (1996). Promoting Polyarchy: Globalization, US Intervention, and Hegemony. Cambridge [England]: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56691-6.
- Burbach, Roger; Robinson, William; Jeffries, Fiona Margaret (2001). Globalization and Postmodern Politics: from Zapatistas to High Tech Robber Barons. London: Pluto Press. ISBN 0-7453-1649-2.
- Robinson, William I. (2003). Transnational Conflicts: Central America, Social Change and Globalization. London: Verso. ISBN 1-85984-547-9.
- Robinson, William I. (2004). A Theory of Global Capitalism: Transnational Production, Transnational Capitalists, and the Transnational State. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. ISBN 978-0-8018-7927-2.
- Robinson, William I.; Appelbaum, Richard P. (2005). Critical globalization studies. New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-94961-0.
- Robinson, William I. (2008). Latin America and Global Capitalism: A Critical Globalization Perspective (Johns Hopkins Studies in Globalization). The Johns Hopkins University Press. ISBN 978-0-8018-9039-0.
- Robinson, William I. (2014). Globalization and the Crisis of Humanity. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1107691117
- Peter Schmidt (April 29, 2009). "Head of Anti-Defamation League Urged Santa Barbara to Act Against Critic of Israel". The Chronicle of Higher Education.[dead link]
- Dana L. Cloud (April 30, 2009). "The McCarthyism That Horowitz Built: The Cases of Margo Ramlal Nankoe, William Robinson, Nagesh Rao and Loretta Capeheart". CounterPunch.
- What is anti-Semitism? A UCSB professor's controversial e-mail underscores the need to define a sensitive subject by Nicholas Goldberg. May 12, 2009. Los Angeles Times
- SPME Statement on the Disposition of the Case of William Robinson at UCSB, SPME Board of Directors, June 29, 2009 
- Duke Helfand (April 30, 2009). "Professor's comparison of Israelis to Nazis stirs furor". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- William I. Robinson at the University of California, Santa Barbara
- William I. Robinson at SourceWatch
- Ronald Radosh (April 30, 2009). "On the Nature of Academic Freedom and Bob Cohen on Pete Seeger". Pajamas Media.
- Philip Weiss. ": 'New Republic' attacks ADL for 'inquisition' against California professor who likened Gaza to Warsaw ghetto". Mondoweiss.
- Alan Wolfe (April 29, 2009). "Enough With the Campus Inquisitions!". The New Republic.
- Committee to Defend Academic Freedom at UCSB
- Cnaan Liphshiz (April 30, 2009). "American Jewish professor probed after comparing Israel to Nazis". Haaretz.
- Jewish Students Shocked by UCSB Professor's Demonizing Email, YouTube video of former student reading from Robinson's e-mail.