William J. Rapaport
Rapaport has done research and written extensively on Intentionality and Artificial Intelligence. He has research interests in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Computational Linguistics, Cognitive Science, Logic and Mathematics, and published many scientific articles on them.
While a philosophy graduate student at Indiana University, he concocted the sentence: "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo". Throughout his career he developed this theme, and discussed it extensively.
Rapaport is also interested in Science Educational Theory and has received the New York Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching
Rapaport has clearly explained the field of intentionality, and his papers on the subject have influenced leading scientists and writers such as Daniel Dennett, Héctor-Neri Castañeda and John Searle (with whom he disagrees).
In June 1988, Rapaport compiled a list of restaurants in the Buffalo area to give attendees of an ACL meeting at SUNY Buffalo. Now, the list is interactive and updated frequently with user reviews of restaurants.
Rapaport and his wife Mary, with whom he has a son Micheal, are the principal donors to the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center in Jamestown, NY. The Desilu Playhouse, located in the Rapaport Center, contains memorabilia and other vintage I Love Lucy items. He and his wife have also purchased and renovated Lucille Ball's childhood home in Celoron, New York.
Books and articles
- Intentionality and the Structure of Existence, Unpublished Ph.D. Indiana University, 1976. Available from [ ] AAT 7701930
- Thought Language and Ontology Edited by William J. Rapaport et al. Includes various essays by Dr. Rapaport and his colleagues.
- Cognition and Fiction, with Stuart C. Shapiro (PostScript format
- To Be and Not To Be
- Representing Fiction in SNePS
- In Defense of Contextual Vocabulary Acquisition
- What Did You Mean by That? Misunderstanding, Negotiation, and Syntactic Semantics
- Yes, She Was! Reply to Ford's "Helen Keller Was Never in a Chinese Room"
- Predication, fiction, and artificial intelligence
- On cogito propositions
- Because mere calculation isn't thinking
- On the history of Buffulo buffalo
- ...the American Philosophical Association Newsletters on Teaching Philosophy and on Pre-College Instruction in Philosophy. He is a recipient of the State University of New York Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching. (From Ask Philosophers William Rapaport member page).
- See also: SaveLucyDesiCenter.org website.
- Fryling, Kevin (2007-05-27). "UB faculty member loves Lucy". UB Reporter (buffalo.edu). Retrieved 2008-02-29.
- Originally from Buffalo University. Can be viewed online via the Online PostScript Viewer.